Have: Minagishi tokens

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

normalbrains
Librarities Member

Have: Minagishi tokens

Post by normalbrains » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:22 am

i have these for trade or sale:

2x angel
1x squirrel
1x saproling
1x copy card

email me if interested at normalbrains@yahoo.com

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: Have: Minagishi tokens

Post by dragsamou » Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:30 pm

i have these for trade or sale:

2x angel
1x squirrel
1x saproling
1x copy card

email me if interested at normalbrains@yahoo.com
Hi.
From which Series?Thanks.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

normalbrains
Librarities Member

Post by normalbrains » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:26 pm

i actually dont know. i just picked them up and theyre the first ones ive owned. how do i tell?

Muldoon
Legendary Dragon Whelp Master

Post by Muldoon » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:38 pm

Watch out for fakes  :-X Those angels arent well known fakes for nothing  >:(
Collecting Dragon Whelps! A/FBB/FWB/Summer/Alt4th/IE/TS/Test/Misprinted wanted!

normalbrains
Librarities Member

Post by normalbrains » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:42 pm

any info yall could give me would be greatlt appreciated. why would somebody counterfeit a $5-15 card?

rg

Post by rg » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:05 pm

... why would somebody counterfeit a $5-15 card?
Some reasons might be:
- on ebay often > $15
- great demand for the angel tokens
- easier to counterfeiting then real magic cards
- x * 15 ....

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:31 pm

i actually dont know. i just picked them up and theyre the first ones ive owned. how do i tell?
Hi.
You will find everything here about the Series.
http://www.magiclibrary.net/rarities-crazy-clowns.html
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:13 pm

any info yall could give me would be greatlt appreciated. why would somebody counterfeit a $5-15 card?
In part, it would be because a lot of these tokens used to be worth way more.  I first got suckered into the fake scene (along with FatCat) when I got one of the 5-goblin tokens.  They were selling in excess of $100 and nearly impossible to find.  Even the angels were selling over $50 each - but so many fakes have been created, that they have flooded the market, and most tokens are only selling for about $3-6 each now.  You will notice almost all of the Jun Minagishi tokens on Ebay are coming from either Singapore or Italy.  It's next to impossible to tell from a scan in an auction if they are fake or not.  Odds are, if you buy from either country, you will be buying a fake.
This is a real shame, because who knows what is real and what is fake anymore.  There may be honest real Singapore sellers out there still, but I will not spend any money on them anymore due to all the fakes.  One of the biggest sellers seems to be Yugiking and another big seller is Rednaught.  Its amazing that in the past 4 or 5 months, there have probably been twice as many 'so-called real' tokens sold, then were initially produced  :D

Another problem with the scans, is that the sellers may not be scanning the cards they have, but rather, linking to other existing scans of real cards, such as appear here on the Library.
Oct 30, away until further notice

normalbrains
Librarities Member

Post by normalbrains » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:31 pm

the ones i have are all from the sixth series. is there a way to tell the difference between real and fake? the fronts are all glossy and the backs are not.

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:58 pm

the ones i have are all from the sixth series. is there a way to tell the difference between real and fake? the fronts are all glossy and the backs are not.
I'm not sure myself, though FatKat is the self-professed fake expert here   :D

From what I am understanding so far, the easy fakes to find, are those which are somewhat slightly blurry, which would be a result of being scanned and then printed.  Others are too shiny.

From my own personal perspective, those who owned Minagishi tokens 3 or more years ago will most likely have originals, but anything that has been going on Ebay the past year or two are 95% likely to be fakes.  

Maybe FatKat or one of the other more serious collectors here can describe what their experience is in determining the difference between real and fake?

However, keep in mind, that in most circumstances, only by having the actual card in hand can you tell the difference, as many of these sellers are not showing scans of the cards that they have, but rather are taking scans of the original cards, or even those from places such as the Library here.
Oct 30, away until further notice

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:08 pm

I'm not sure myself, though FatKat is the self-professed fake expert here   :D

From what I am understanding so far, the easy fakes to find, are those which are somewhat slightly blurry, which would be a result of being scanned and then printed.  Others are too shiny.

From my own personal perspective, those who owned Minagishi tokens 3 or more years ago will most likely have originals, but anything that has been going on Ebay the past year or two are 95% likely to be fakes.  

Maybe FatKat or one of the other more serious collectors here can describe what their experience is in determining the difference between real and fake?

However, keep in mind, that in most circumstances, only by having the actual card in hand can you tell the difference, as many of these sellers are not showing scans of the cards that they have, but rather are taking scans of the original cards, or even those from places such as the Library here.
Through my experience, what I've found can be put into two categories.

The first being bad fakes.  As stated before, blurred images and text, poor card stock, etc.  Most people will be able to spot these at first glance.  Everything I've seen coming from Singapore fall into these categories.  A good example of a bad fake is the Five Goblins card which should have a yellow outline around the 'Five Goblins' text in the lower corner.  Bad fakes won't.  Not much attention to detail has been made and you can tell they were printed on the thickest glossy paper whomever is printing these has been able to find.  

One of the Singapore gentlemen I dealt with claimed ignorance and had bought them from a collector from Germany.  (Maybe Ralph?)  It all sounded like a smoke screen to me.

The good fakes are much more difficult.  Card stock and gloss are dead on.  The best example being the original Wurm token which has been verified to not even have Jun Minagishi artwork.  Also the font is different from 'real' cards.  Originally these were thought to have been created as test prints.  I don't consider the originals to be fakes per say, but they definately are not Minagishi.  All good fakes I've seen have collector backs and tend to be higher dollar tokens Squirrels, Angels, Elephants, Soldiers.  

I find it odd, no one has attemped to fake the older white backed tokens.  If they have, it's gone unnoticed.  

What I've been seeng lately comes from Italy.  The card stock and gloss are again perfect, but the border has a brownish tinge.  The borders on 'real' cards have a deep black border.  There are also light and dark backed versions of 'real' cards.  And also instances where the gloss is on the backside instead of the front.  

Wether this newly discovered "Brown Bordered" version is another variation or a well done fake remains to be seen.  I vote fake unless any other older collector can verify otherwise.  None of mine do.

Hope my ranting helps a little bit.  I'm sure I forgot something.   ;D

Again, I'm still waiting on more "Brown Bordered" Wurm tokens from Italy.  I'll post when I have them for trade.   :-*
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

normalbrains
Librarities Member

Post by normalbrains » Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:37 am

thanks for the info. if they are fake, they are high quality fakes but i cant tell because ive never seen an original. if anybody wants them, they are still for trade or sale.

sylvanstu
Librarities Legend

Post by sylvanstu » Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:04 am

I'm interested in trading for an angel and a copy card do you have a want list and what do you value theese 2 cards at ;D
Collector of one of each Armageddon printed.