Foil Kiki Jiki thank you gifts?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Gonain

Foil Kiki Jiki thank you gifts?

Post by Gonain » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:16 am

Hi, I was strolling through ebay looking at Kamigawa foils to compare prices for a foil set I've been working on and ran into this auction Here.I've seen Wizards send out a box of the hobby japan 3d centaur wurm dragon tokens and boxes as thank yous before but I've never seen them do something like send foil rares like this guy claims in his auction.

Also a bit off subject but while working on a foil set I've seen upwards of 50-60 some odd boxes possibly more opened of Kamigawa and a frustrating trend I've noticed is that around 4-5% of the packs I've seen opened would have a crimp inside of it and another maybe 25% of the packs the back card would always be creased in a corner as if someone took the rare or foil and just bent a quarter inch of the card upwards 90 degrees. I've actually seen draft pods where people bring their own packs from various sources (buying them, prerelease, ptq winnings etc) and all the rares would be bent like this fresh from a pack.

Anyway I'm bad with introductions but this is my first post =p

devil666

Re: Foil Kiki Jiki thank you gifts?

Post by devil666 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:09 am

WOW!!!!!! I haven't open a pack were the cards were bent and I have played like forever and if you think that it's bull shit that cards get bent in the packs, well all I have to say is go FUCK YOUR SELF!!!!!!
[smiley=veryangry.gif]

Sincerly,
        Devil666

ANALOG_KID
Legendary MTG Art Collector

Post by ANALOG_KID » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:11 am

Word to the wise before it comes from on high.
Foul language and attitudes are not looked upon favorably at this forum.
While I am all for your right to express yourself, many members might take offense, and that will not improve your standing in this community.
Try to keep the vocabulary a bit more civilized.
Begin the day with a friendly voice...

sylvanstu
Librarities Legend

Post by sylvanstu » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:52 pm

Yes please try to refrain from foul language if you find the need to swear just  say go f... yourself its less offensive
Collector of one of each Armageddon printed.

Gonain

Post by Gonain » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:33 pm

Devil666 I don't see why that isn't legitimate, these are strictly only rares or foils being damaged to the point of simply just good condition right out of the pack due to poor packaging. Keep in mind I am not complaining because I bought a box of product and a few cards got damaged, I'm just pointing out that at least in my area a very large quantity of cards are crimped or damaged to the point where I thought it wasn't acceptable and found it odd that noone else has really mentioned similar problems. That aside I would still like to know what this Foil Kiki Jiki thing is as its the first time I've ever noticed anyone claiming a rep from wizards gave out a specific foil.

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

Post by pickle.69 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:39 pm

since no crimp collector posted jet
I am interrested in the cripms you have [smiley=approve.gif] [smiley=approve.gif]
Collections needing help
Shivan Dragons http://beam.to/shivandragon
Alpha Dwarven Demo Team h: 5%
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 9506#29506

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:43 pm

Devil,

I do so enjoy reading a post over and over and still have no idea how we get from point a to point b.  Are you trying to say cards don't get damaged in packs?  If so, you're wrong.

I just bought a box of Kamigawa Tournement decks and someone dropped the damn thing on a corner.  One deck had all the land, thankfully and not a real card, come whith smashed corners.  These cards were so screwed up, not one of our crimp collectors would have wanted them.  (Except maybe cereal, but he's crazy.)

I've also opened crimps and poorly inked cards.  I've also been 'playing' forever and have friends who have as well and have never seen a damaged card.  

And just because you don't agree with someone doesn't give you the right to act like a pissy little 14 year old.  Show some F...ING respect.

Cordially yours,

BFK
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

bigfatkitty

Post by bigfatkitty » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:44 pm

Oh...and welcome to the boards Gonain.   ;D

coolio
Librarities Legend

Post by coolio » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:55 pm

i'll tell you one thing, you're the one damaging the cards yourself by how you option the packs... this trend i noticed from opening 2 cases myself..

you flip the flap of the pack and pull on it to open the pack.. pulling the top of the card over the unc before it.. and u get that corner crease..

how you solve this, before opening the pack, grab the pack length wise and reset all the cards so they are lined up.. then open

©

Gonain

Post by Gonain » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:16 pm

Has the wrapper been changed with this set? Booster boxes were changed so you can't break them apart as easily anymore, it's hard for me to describe. easier to just examine an empty fifth dawn and kamigawa booster box. I recently opened various boxes of non kamigawa product and never had the issue with damage.

I'm unsure what you mean by pull on the tab, do you mean pull it away from the booster pack? The method I use is to slightly tug at the tab in the opposite direction its folded slightly at the very top and it tears away with no resistance, which I learned from reading the instructions on a bag of old dutch one day before.

bigfatkitty

Post by bigfatkitty » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:00 pm

i'll tell you one thing, you're the one damaging the cards yourself by how you option the packs... this trend i noticed from opening 2 cases myself..

you flip the flap of the pack and pull on it to open the pack.. pulling the top of the card over the unc before it.. and u get that corner crease..

how you solve this, before opening the pack, grab the pack length wise and reset all the cards so they are lined up.. then open

©
how to open a pack.  My damaged cards were more than a corner bend.  This was 12 lands bent down accordian style because some butterfingers dropped my the starter box and the weight caused it to bend.

Crimps are completely different where a card will be part way out of a pack and the booster sealing machine tries to close the pack with a card in the way.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:37 pm

If the problem is the exact same mangling on the same card type (common, uncommon, rare or foil) then it could well be a problem with one of the card feeders.  When each pack is created, you have stacks of cards for each rarity.  They get dispensed into a pack before it is sealed in much the same way that you get a ticket for a toll road or parking lot.  

When speed isn't an issue these feeders often use rollers.  When speed is an issue the cards are often fed with plungers, or a combination of rollers and plungers.  If the plunger or roller has a mechanical problem, or if the card guides aren't aligned correctly, you can get problems.  One type of problem can be caused by the plungers or rollers pushing the cards to far (into some sort of stop guide).  Another kind of problem can occur if the cards aren't being advanced far enough (especially if the cards are then pushed up or down, perhaps into the wrapper).  Finally, you can have problems if the cards are advanced in a crooked manner.

The bottom line is that such problems do occur, especially if the packaging line has been running smothly and the operators relax a bit.  When the problem is discovered and fixed, quite often the operators won't go back (or go back far enough) to scrap completed items.  

So if some of these cards get released to retail, there is no way of knowing until packs or boxes are opened.  The problem would certainly be concentrated in  the few boxes or cases packed at the time of the problem, and would not be random throughout an entire run.

On a different note, if devil666 can't be civil, he shouldn't be around at all.
Where have all the Magic sticker sets gone?

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:04 pm

Coolio's comments are correct, in my experience.

I was opening several boxes of product and noticed that, on many rares, my top left corner was getting a weird little crease in it.

It took me..FOREVER..to figure out that I was doing it myself (and so were MANY other people).

If you open the pack by just grabbing the middle of the back and pulling away from the front, many times the last card in the pack (usually a rare, but also foils) will get pulled over the card in front of it and bend it.

I fixed this problem by grabbing the top 'T' intersection and just pulling right there, carefully.  If I get too much resistance, I use my teeth to split them.

Gryfalia
He's just this guy, ya know?

bigfatkitty

Post by bigfatkitty » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:11 pm

Coolio's comments are correct, in my experience.

I was opening several boxes of product and noticed that, on many rares, my top left corner was getting a weird little crease in it.

It took me..FOREVER..to figure out that I was doing it myself (and so were MANY other people).

If you open the pack by just grabbing the middle of the back and pulling away from the front, many times the last card in the pack (usually a rare, but also foils) will get pulled over the card in front of it and bend it.

I fixed this problem by grabbing the top 'T' intersection and just pulling right there, carefully.  If I get too much resistance, I use my teeth to split them.

Gryfalia
I agree.  Teeth work well...unless you're Alexis and don't have any.   He uses his three inch long toenails to open his.  :-X

EDIT:  Toenail joke

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:11 pm

Doesn't anyone use scissors or a knife to open packs any more?  It seems the fastest, easiest and least damaging method for opening packs.