I always wondered about this:Plateau

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Royal Ass.
Librarities Hero

I always wondered about this:Plateau

Post by Royal Ass. » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:13 pm

I have always wondered what the exaction situation for this was:

Q: "I was doing a trade recently and I saw a Plateau with a different picture. I was told these were made during Unlimited but were not continued into Revised. i was wondering why you changed the picture and how many of them were made (as I now have one and I'm wondering how rare they are).
--Tom Cadden
Glasgow, Scotland

A: From Elaine Chase, Magic Brand Manager:

When we were getting Revised ready to print, the image file of the original Plateau was corrupted. We contacted the artist, Drew Tucker, to see if we could use the original painting to make another scan. Unfortunately, Drew couldn't locate the piece. By this time, art for the Ice Age lands had already been commissioned but wouldn't be needed for a while, so one of those was snagged to be the new Plateau. The artist for the replacement piece is actually Cornelius Brudi, although it is misattributed to Drew on the actual card. The original Plateau art is on Alpha, Beta, and Unlimited versions of the card. The second painting only appears in Revised.
Ci sono cose che succedono ai vivi non ai morti.

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:55 pm

Thanks for posting this.

I knew some of that info already but I wasn't aware Plateau had a misprinted artist name in revised :-\

I can confirm italian versions are correctly credited to Cornelius Brudi.

Of course the new picture of Plateau in English appears not only in revised but also in Summer Magic ;-D

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:03 pm

I am surprised this tidbit was not known. I recall reading this years and years ago and thought it was pretty public knowledge. I mean about the miscredit in addtion to the new art.

Royal Ass.
Librarities Hero

Post by Royal Ass. » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:26 am

I knew that the artist was wrong, and that it wasn't Drew Tucker, but I didnt know the story about why they changed the art. I had heard a rumer that it had something to do with copyrights, not that the file got corrupted and that they had to use a piece of art from ice age.

Ende: io spero di andare a roma quest' estate per studiare giurisprudenza.
Ci sono cose che succedono ai vivi non ai morti.

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:09 pm

I've known the "corrupted file" information for a while; it almost feels like they did this for the card of the day a while back.

Tristal
Librarities Member

Post by Tristal » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:22 pm

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:I've known the "corrupted file" information for a while; it almost feels like they did this for the card of the day a while back.
They must have, because I also recall this story.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:40 pm

They did do a writeup on this:

Magic Arcana Feb 20, 2002:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/arcana/35

Both the art corruption and miscredit are mentioned in there.