My One-Of-A-Kind Alpha Hypnotic Spectre

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

ChrisCarlson

My One-Of-A-Kind Alpha Hypnotic Spectre

Post by ChrisCarlson » Fri May 12, 2006 1:24 am

I was directed here by a helpful individual from the Wizards boards. Here is a cut-n-paste of the thread I started there. I'm told you all are the place to go for this sort of thing...

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=635928

------

I'm posting here in the hopes that you kind folks can assist me. I am unsure where to go or where to start with this one. I have a unique card that may be the only one of its kind!

I had been involved in Magic the Gathering since its inception, back in 1993. At the time cards did not have intrinsic collectability values anything like they do now.

When we would purchase booster packs and sort through them, discovering each new card for the first time, I had the displeasure of finding a cut and crimped Hypnotic Spectre in one of my packs. It was cut deep, splitting the text block in half so I could not read the complete effect the card had. As you can imagine, since this was early into the Alpha craze, I was more interested in playing the card than anything.

Being a resident hanger-about at my friend’s FLGS at the time, I happened to be there later that day when another customer bought and opened more booster packs from the same box. Lo and behold, the second half of the same card was in one of his packs, also crimped, of course. It hadn’t even occurred to me until I saw it that it was even a possibility. It appears these booster packs were cut and crimped consecutively and so the card was partly in each of two packs along the packing process.

I managed to buy the other customer’s smaller half for a dollar, wanting to have the whole card as a novelty. I placed it into a snap-tight hard plastic card holder to keep them together.

Until a few months ago, I had forgotten I even had it. I rediscovered it tucked into a pocket of an old gaming briefcase. When I mentioned it to a friend of mine, who is still an avid Magic player, he was quite impressed, telling me it could be worth a great deal of money. He said he had never seen anything like it and it was probably wholly unique. Especially in that it was a mint condition alpha Hypnotic Spectre to boot.

Below is a color scan of the card for your reference.

Unfortunately, I have not been involved in Magic for years, so I am unfamiliar with the current trading atmosphere and market.

I have been given widely ranging information from multiple retailers and individuals as to the possible value of this card. I've heard a magic card once sold for $2000 and that certain mint alpha cards could potentially be worth upwards of $15,000. Is this true? This would have to be a Black Lotus they were speaking of, correct? I can’t imagine such a price for a card, but I’m not going to complain if this card should happen to fall into a similar category.

I would really appreciate any input you may have as to how I can go about appraising such a thing and possibly finding a potential buyer. Since I am no longer a frequent card game player, having moved on to RPGs and such, I might be willing to sell it to someone who would better appreciate it or display it in a collection worthy of its exceptionality.

Due to its utter distinctiveness and potential value, I am leery of taking some of the offers I’ve been given thus far and would like an expert opinion, or three.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance for your time.

Sincerely,

ChrisCarlson

-----

flatmatt
Legendary Wild Bear Tracker

Re: My One-Of-A-Kind Alpha Hypnotic Spectre

Post by flatmatt » Fri May 12, 2006 3:15 am

There are a couple collectors of crimped cards on these forums who may be interested in it. Just to let you know, an Alpha Hypnotic Specter goes for just under $30 on eBay according to MOTL's price guide (remember it was only an uncommon). The value of this particular crimped and cut card will really depend on the collector interested in buying it.

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Fri May 12, 2006 4:05 am

I've seen this happen with Beta rares, so I'm not too surprised to see this. As a crimp collector (and probably one of the most serious in the world), I'm extremely interested in it. It's worth whatever someone will pay for it, but I'd assume that it would be worth 75-100 minimum.

PM'd you.

me-and_we
Librarities Legend

Post by me-and_we » Fri May 12, 2006 2:09 pm

nice one... I am too highly interested, not only because it's a very rare and nice misprint, but also cuz I collect Alpha Hyppies, but my ressources are very limited this year :-|| :-|| (graduating atm -> moving to Vienna end of year, and b4 that several vacations...) So this one will be Gunslingas, but the next one... :-/

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Mon May 15, 2006 9:04 pm

yeah, the main problem with selling crimps is that, aside from slinga, the collectors are usually broke. :-(

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:30 pm

Still interested, and still hoping to hear from you.