Ice Age on double card stock?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

lordsilver

Ice Age on double card stock?

Post by lordsilver » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:14 am

Hey all.  I recently obtained an Ice Age Zur's Weirding.  I have misplaced it for now, so I can't hold it while I describe it, but it is doubley thick.  It doesn't bend normally and is shaped kind of weirdly around the edge's.  Normally you would think it was a fake, but it doesn't prove itself very easily (except that it's abnormal).  Also, it is a Zur's Weirding....

Any thoughts?

rg

Re: Ice Age on double card stock?

Post by rg » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:40 am

It vote it is a fake.
Maybe someone made a print/copy and glued it on a real magic card back (a lot of people did that some years ago in my area).
If you doubt and still hope it is real, just make a good scan and post the link.

furiousavatar

Post by furiousavatar » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:42 am

I used to make good fakes, that were just doubled up like that, of things that werent cmpletely worth a lot. The idea was to keep the real card in my binder.

inocent idea.
Bradley
www.Daggerinc.com
-----
4.5 collection: 364/378

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:05 am

It vote it is a fake.
Maybe someone made a print/copy and glued it on a real magic card back (a lot of people did that some years ago in my area).
If you doubt and still hope it is real, just make a good scan and post the link.
I agree with rg.  Back when I was playing, I used to take copies of all my beta Moxen and Lotus' on a really high end color copier and then cut and paste them on the back of revised land.  It was close to looking like real, just a little too thick.
Oct 30, away until further notice

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:45 pm

well, to back secretgiant up,

i have a pufferextract that is exactly the same.

xtra thich cardstock, little off color.

why the h*ll would someone fake a pufferextract?
i can make scans, but it's of no use, since you won't see the xtra thickness ;)
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:54 pm

why the h*ll would someone fake a pufferextract?
I could see making just about any card if it were needed as a proxy for a deck.  Color printers are so common now and there are good card images available all over, so I could easily see someone making good looking proxies rather than writing on a land or sticking a piece of paper in a sleeve.  Currently I'm proxying a Krark-Clan Grunts and an Arcbound Stinger for one deck, which makes Zur's Weirding or Puffer Extract look quite reasonable.

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:36 pm

I agree with rg.  Back when I was playing, I used to take copies of all my beta Moxen and Lotus' on a really high end color copier and then cut and paste them on the back of revised land.  It was close to looking like real, just a little too thick.

Hope those "Revised lands" weren't Summer  :o  [smiley=laugh.gif]

I have a friend who claims that's exactly what happened to him years ago, and he did have some Summer actually !

On Topic: I agree that the card is probably a fake proxy made by gluing the copy onto another card, I used to do that too.
Please note my change in e-mail (check profile)

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:01 pm

trust me, my puffer isn't a fake.

it passes the bend test with absolutely no problem......can color printers do that?
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:12 am

trust me, my puffer isn't a fake.

it passes the bend test with absolutely no problem......can color printers do that?
It seems quite possible for an extra-thick card to exist.  Given all of the types of misprints that have surfaced I don't see any reason why there couldn't be Magic cards printed on the wrong cardstock.  Carta Mundi certainly must have a variety of cardstock for their different printing needs, or their supplier could have messed up.

As far as fakes, I just glued some paper onto a card to test things out.  The card didn't pass the bend test easily, but I think that I could with some careful work.  I made one card using a glue stick on both the card and the paper that I was affixing and it got very, very close to passing.  I got a couple little ripples in one spot (bending through the middle), but then trying a different area of the card (bending the upper portion) I was able to pass the bend test.  I have a feeling that given the proper adhesive you could pass the bend test reliably.  I'd want to try a variety of glues as well as rubber cement if I did more extensive testing.

Of course, with any of these methods you can see that there is something slightly odd with the layering of the card, and I suspect that in bright light the gloss of the card would not look proper.  Real cardstock should look fine from the edge and have the proper gloss.

lordsilver

Post by lordsilver » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:32 pm

THE THREAD, IT LIVES!