Original M:TG artwork

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Original M:TG artwork

Post by mintcollector » Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:52 pm

Does anyone own any, and I mean personally for all of you dealers out there?

I am really thinking about picking up some John Avon artwork myself.  I am expacting to get a 3rd inheritance check from my grandmother's estate soon and might get a piece or 2 from him.

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Re: Original M:TG artwork

Post by Gryfalia » Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:30 pm

Honestly, many magic artists know that the game is exceptionally popular, and (imho) overprice their artwork accordingly.

I have found that I get a better bang for my buck going to other games that I play (or have played), specifically Legends of the 5 Rings for my artwork purchasing desires..;-)

Of course, at one point I was trying to buy the Nazgul artwork from Liz Danforth from Middle Earth: The Wizards, but she just stopped communicating suddenly and was never able to finish the purchase..;-/

Gryfalia
He's just this guy, ya know?

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:13 pm

Honestly, many magic artists know that the game is exceptionally popular, and (imho) overprice their artwork accordingly.

Gryfalia
I agree prices are bloated, especially on hotter cards.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:17 pm

I assume, you mean any art that we own and are willing to sell? I have the original sketch for Puffer Fish by Heather Hudson, this is not the finished art, but a b/w pencil sketch identical to the art. I wasn't planning on selling it though.
Apathy House
Price Looker-Upper:Guide to Fake Cards:Vintage Ad Gallery
Looking for scans of any mtg ads! HELP!

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:38 pm

I assume, you mean any art that we own and are willing to sell? I have the original sketch for Puffer Fish by Heather Hudson, this is not the finished art, but a b/w pencil sketch identical to the art. I wasn't planning on selling it though.
Actually I was thinking of the canvas originals.  I am just curious how many members here own a canvas original.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:27 pm

Ah, I do not (yet), but am close friends with people who do.
Apathy House
Price Looker-Upper:Guide to Fake Cards:Vintage Ad Gallery
Looking for scans of any mtg ads! HELP!

Vilan

Post by Vilan » Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:51 am

Does anyone own any, and I mean personally for all of you dealers out there?
Sort of. Several years back I was opening some random Portal boosters and opened an Ebon Dragon. I immediately loved the art on it. I held onto it for a while then discovered Donato Giancola's website about a year ago. I wanted the art for the Dragon but I believe it was sold already, plus it was $2500 which is rather out of my budget. But I did get a print of it and had it framed along with that Ebon Dragon card I opened originally. Hangs on my bedroom wall now. I still marvel at how good the art was on that one.

Erl00
Librarities Legend

Post by Erl00 » Sat Nov 08, 2003 5:39 pm

I own the original oil paint art of the 7th Edition Island drawed by Tony Szczudlo and the original sketch going with it.

I find it reall cool!
Regards,
Eric.
Please help me finish my Boosters collection

plasticrabbit

Post by plasticrabbit » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:38 am

hope it's not too late to help you out, mintcollector. what do you need to know? :)

(i'm back after 3 months!)

Lord_of_Llanowar

Post by Lord_of_Llanowar » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:15 pm

about the prices beeing to high, most artist have normal prices, some even cheap.
I see many artworks from far less famous painters go for a far higher price, and then they mostly dont even look professional

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:34 pm

about the prices beeing to high, most artist have normal prices, some even cheap.
I see many artworks from far less famous painters go for a far higher price, and then they mostly dont even look professional
Well, except for a few stand-outs, there ARE no famous artists that make Magic.  Most of them are only well-known within the Magic circles (and with some jobs they got from their Magic reputation).

But compare their prices to the artwork from any other card game.  Those prices are significantly higher, for similar quality works. Even some of the amazing artwork for Middle Earth: The Wizards only goes for $1000 or so, and many of those works beat the pants off most Magic stuff.

Thankfully Magic has finally cleared out some of the 'hacks' that they had early on (not going to name names, I would be sure to offend someone), so we see less of their artwork.

Still miss Drew Tucker tho..;-/

Gryfalia
He's just this guy, ya know?

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:43 pm

Brom is legit, I bought his book.  He did tons of junk before.  Kinda tired of his style, but man, his zombie eating its own intestines is cool.  He stole the idea from Herman Melvile tho, who prolly stole that idea from some roman guy.
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:07 pm

hope it's not too late to help you out, mintcollector. what do you need to know? :)

(i'm back after 3 months!)
What MTG original canvases do you have (if any)?

plasticrabbit

Post by plasticrabbit » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:34 pm

most magic art isn't done on canvas, but rather, on illustrator's board or bristol board (i don't think i've ever seen a john avon piece on canvas before). it would also be important to ask about the size of the piece, if you don't already know it, many magic pieces are pretty small (though some are also pretty large)

i am currently the proud owner of these originals:

windborne muse (adam rex)
seedborne muse (adam rex)
squirrel farm (ron spencer)
aphetto exterminator (scott fischer)
rathi dragon (chris rush)
dark ritual (rebecca guay)
wonder (rebecca guay)
brainstorm (tony diterlizzi)
verdant force (tony diterlizzi)
raven guild master (kev walker)
lobotomy (d alexander gregory)
narcissism (chris moeller)

along with several other non-magic related pieces

by the by, i collect artist proofs of the above cards, if anyone has some for trade or sale, please let me know.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:22 pm

most magic art isn't done on canvas, but rather, on illustrator's board or bristol board (i don't think i've ever seen a john avon piece on canvas before). it would also be important to ask about the size of the piece, if you don't already know it, many magic pieces are pretty small (though some are also pretty large)

i am currently the proud owner of these originals:

windborne muse (adam rex)
seedborne muse (adam rex)
squirrel farm (ron spencer)
aphetto exterminator (scott fischer)
rathi dragon (chris rush)
dark ritual (rebecca guay)
wonder (rebecca guay)
brainstorm (tony diterlizzi)
verdant force (tony diterlizzi)
raven guild master (kev walker)
lobotomy (d alexander gregory)
narcissism (chris moeller)

along with several other non-magic related pieces

by the by, i collect artist proofs of the above cards, if anyone has some for trade or sale, please let me know.
Point taken.  I am trying to stress by canvas, I mean the original piece itself.  not sketches or proofs.  Quite an impressive collection you have there.  I am aware that some are small.  I saw the original Vindicate artwork on display and it appeared to be about 16X20.  On the other hand, I saw the original Sunweb years back and it was very small, almost an 8X10 if I recall.

I have just been a fan of most Avon land artwork and I make a point to collect every land foil of his I can get my hands on.