Shichifukujin...what does it mean?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Shichifukujin...what does it mean?

Post by mintcollector » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:06 am

I was curious if Shichifukujin translates to anything meaningful?  I asked a co-worker who is from Singapore and speaks 6 languages about this.  Since his knowledge of Japanese is limited, he told me 'shichi' means 41 and 'jin' means man.  He does not know what 'fuku' means.  So if his translation is correct, the card is '41 ??? man dragon'.  Any Japanese speakers out there that can help? (ie. macone)

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Re: Shichifukujin...what does it mean?

Post by Ralph Herold » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:43 am

Shichifukujin is the name for the Seven Gods of Luck. Have a look here: http://home.inter.net/eds/oldtokyo/shichifukujin.html

I do not know whether each syllable has a separate meaning, though. Maybe someone can help?

TerraFrost
Legendary Creature For Hire

Post by TerraFrost » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:10 am

perhapes the definition of Shichifukujin merits inclusion on the magic rarities page discussing unique cards?
BLACK LOTUS DONATIONS NEEDED!

CURRENT COUNT: 0

hiryu
Librarities Legend

Post by hiryu » Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:59 am

I think it's "七福神", in which case "shichi" is seven, "fuku" means fortune, and "jin" means god (same character as "kami").  "Jin" can also mean man, but that's a different character.

EDIT: Looks like pasting Japanese doesn't work... you can see the word here if you have the right fonts.

- hiryu.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:14 pm

I think it's "七福神", in which case "shichi" is seven, "fuku" means fortune, and "jin" means god (same character as "kami").  "Jin" can also mean man, but that's a different character.

EDIT: Looks like pasting Japanese doesn't work... you can see the word here if you have the right fonts.

- hiryu.
I'll need to send this to my Malaysian co-worker to correct his Japanese.  Thanks a bunch.  so the card's name means

"Dragon of the Seven Gods of Fortune"

If this indeed can be confirmed, then I propse adding this information to the Shichifukujin write up as it is an interesting fact that I am sure many non-Japanese speakers are unaware of.

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:08 pm

I'll need to send this to my Malaysian co-worker to correct his Japanese.  Thanks a bunch.  so the card's name means

"Dragon of the Seven Gods of Fortune"

If this indeed can be confirmed, then I propse adding this information to the Shichifukujin write up as it is an interesting fact that I am sure many non-Japanese speakers are unaware of.
I think this is a good idea also.  I knew it had something to do with the 7 Gods, but thats only because I have spent a bunch of time trying to find another scan of the Dragon.

Macone - Are you able to go to the old Hobby Japan store (if that is where it still is), and get a really nice digital photo of the Dragon?  Maybe a few pics.  Hopefully the display case does not distort picture taking too much.
Oct 30, away until further notice

macone
Librarities Legend

Post by macone » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:38 pm

Shichifukujin Dragon original art is now Hobby Japan Head Office in Tokyo.

I consider that it is better to ask Ron Foster, Wizards of the Coast Territory Manager for Japan/Korea. He can easily come into HJ office.  ;)

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:05 pm

but thats only because I have spent a bunch of time trying to find another scan of the Dragon.
Hi Silver.
What about Cristopher Rush,the Artist  ;)
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:25 pm

Hi Silver.
What about Cristopher Rush,the Artist  ;)
I wrote him once before, and did not receive a reply.  I had also found an article somewhere on the Web about Rush and the Dragon, and he mentioned that he received no proofs, and he did not have pictures either, so I have not bothered trying to contact him again.  Though, I probably should, just in case my original email was lost, or considered spam   :o

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:02 pm

December 15, 2003    
Q: "I was reading a list of Magic promo cards listed on another website, and found one named 'Shichifukujin Dragon.' I collect dragon cards, so I want to know if this card is real. If so where can I find a picture of it?"
--Jamie, Jacksonville, FL

A: From Ron Foster, Japan Organized Play Manager:
"The Shichifukujin Dragon card is indeed real. It was created as a special commemorative card for the opening of the DCI Japan Tournament Center several years ago, in 1996. The card was based on a Japanese legendary lucky dragon, and Christopher Rush was commissioned to do the art. The card text reads:
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:05 pm

also found this:

http://www.luckywonders.com/SevenLuckyGodsJapan.htm

and all the names of the 7 lucky gods:

The Shichifukujin are an eclectic group of deities from Japan, India, and China. Only one is native to Japan (Ebisu). Three are from India (Daikokuten, Bishamonten, and Benzaiten) and three from China (Hotei, Jurojin, and Fukurokuju). Click name for photos and textual review.

Name

Function

Associations

Ebisu
Japan

Shinto Name:
Kotoshiro-
nushi-no-kami

God of
Fishermen
Rice Farmers
Good Forture
and Commerce

Fish (tai or sea bream), which symbolizes celebration (Japanese word for celebration is omede-tai); fishing rod in right hand; folding fan; grants success to people in their chosen occupations; son of Daikoku?; the Mercury or Hermes of Japan?

Daikokuten
India
Mahakala

Intro to Japan 9th century AD

God of Wealth
Prosperity
Farmers
Flood Control
The Kitchen
Member TENBU

God of five cereals; rice bales; treasure sack (bag); magic mallet in right hand; sometimes wears hood; rat (found around food); often shown with Ebisu, his son?; merged with Shinto deity of good harvests, Okuninushi no Mikoto

Benzaiten
India
Sarasvati

Goddess of
Music, Fine Arts
Eloquence, Lit.

Japanese mandolin, lute,
majic jewel, snake, sea dragon
Only female among the seven
Member of the TENBU grouping

Hotei
China
Pu-tai

Maitreya ??

God of
Contentment
and Happiness

Bag of food and treasure that never empties; oogi (fan), small children at his feet; supposedly only member of seven based on actual person; known as the Laughing Buddha; rubbing his stomach is said to bring good luck; incarnation of Bodhisattva Maitreya?

Fukurokuju
China

God of Wisdom
and Longevity

Long white beard, cane with sutra scroll, drinking gourd, crane, deer, stag, tortoise (symbol of longevity); scroll said to contain all the wisdom in the world; said to inhabit same body as Jurojin

Jurojin
China

God of Longevity

Long white beard, holy staff and scroll, tortoise, deer, stag, crane; in same body as Fukurokuju; scroll said to hold the secret to longevity

Bishamonten
India
Tamonten
Shitenno

God of Treasure
God of War
God of Warriors
Skt. Vaisravana

Wears armor, carries spear and pagoda of treasures; pigeon is messenger; Vaisravana in Sanskrit; also Tamonten, one of the Shitenno and TENBU
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:03 pm

I came across this site before.  When I first saw the pictures (before I read anything), I thought it was a bunch of chocolates!!  Thought this would be neat to buy, and then realized it was alabaster.  Don't think that would taste quite as good!

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:03 am

Well I failed to shre this before, but I was sent this by my Malaysian co-worker:

http://home.inter.net/eds/oldtokyo/shichifukujin.html

The seven gods are described in one nice little page.

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:07 am

mintcollector: Well, this is the same link I posted above ...

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:30 am

mintcollector: Well, this is the same link I posted above ...
Ralph:  Sorry, I was not paying attention.  I found that link via a Google search and via my co-worker.