Revised starters

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Celebrindor

Revised starters

Post by Celebrindor » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:32 am

I have recently purchased several revised starters.  I had heard (from Muldoon and the seller of one of them) that some have 3 rares, instead of the usual two.  Having opened 2 starters, that is indeed true.  

I also noticed a few other differences - in the 3 rares deck the rares and the rulebook are towards the front, in the 2 rares deck, the rares and the rulebook are towards the back.  Other than that, in the 3 rares box, the rares are together, in the 2 they are not.

Two questions:

1.)  Anything else different about them, and why are they different.

2.)  how can you tell which is which from the outside - one seller listed the item as having three rares, yet both were still sealed in shrinkwrap.  Other than opening the rest of the starters in the box, is there any way to tell - the box and barcode and WOTC product numbers are identical.

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Re: Revised starters

Post by Gryfalia » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:57 am

Here's another IIRC line...

IIRC, near the end of the revised print run, they had extra rare sheets and were putting 3 in per starters.  This kind of weirdness has been done before, witness the Alpha Rares in Beta starters...

Gryfalia
He's just this guy, ya know?

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:40 am

yeah, putting the third rare in rocked.  To note: the third rare put them on par with the boosters on a rare/price sort of thing.
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:57 am

I remember always getting 3 rares.  3R, 9U, unknown Cs (never counted or kept them).  I started the game with revised and remember this.  Same as Dry is saying above, it put the starters on par with boosters, and 1 starter was usually a buck or 2 cheaper than 3 boosters.
One other thing I remember, is that with the starters, never appeared to get 3 good rares, and rarely even 2 good rares.  This was the only thing I did not like about buying starters, is that the rares were often not worth the cost, so it was almost better to pay the extra little bit and get boosters, because the odds of getting good rares was better.
Oct 30, away until further notice

sylvanstu
Librarities Legend

Post by sylvanstu » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:03 am

I remember always getting 3 rares.  3R, 9U, unknown Cs (never counted or kept them).  I started the game with revised and remember this.  Same as Dry is saying above, it put the starters on par with boosters, and 1 starter was usually a buck or 2 cheaper than 3 boosters.
One other thing I remember, is that with the starters, never appeared to get 3 good rares, and rarely even 2 good rares.  This was the only thing I did not like about buying starters, is that the rares were often not worth the cost, so it was almost better to pay the extra little bit and get boosters, because the odds of getting good rares was better.
Really my brother just bought 1 at a savation army store for a buck opened and it had 2 duals in it. I gladly gave him a buck back ;D
Collector of one of each Armageddon printed.

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:18 pm

just as silver, i also recalled always having 3 rares in my starters revised.

only there were several duals in between.
in those days, duals could be bought for 5 dollars and less......
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

Post by pickle.69 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:44 pm

Now I know why I have those boosters without a rare. [smiley=idea.gif]

They first had to much rare sheets and when it came to my display (or better my freinds)  they did not have any sheet anymore and therfor left it away.

Can I still get them changed into 15 card holding boosters from wizards?
It would be so cool If they would returne me a Summer pack by mistake [smiley=evil.gif]

PS: I wouldn`t dare to send back the on you reserved Eric
Collections needing help
Shivan Dragons http://beam.to/shivandragon
Alpha Dwarven Demo Team h: 5%
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 9506#29506

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:52 pm

I never saw a RV starter that didn't have 3 rares, unless you count the ones where a basic land ended up in the rare slot.
Apathy House
Price Looker-Upper:Guide to Fake Cards:Vintage Ad Gallery
Looking for scans of any mtg ads! HELP!

Muldoon
Legendary Dragon Whelp Master

Post by Muldoon » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:17 pm

l0qii; there were no lands in rare slots in revised, only in UC and C slots ;)
They "fixed" that after unlimited...
I myself have only opened 2 rare starters, I would much rather have had 3 rare ones ::)
As far as I know, they're identical, and the only way to know is to open one, as all packs in one box should be from the same run and thus have the same number of rares.
Collecting Dragon Whelps! A/FBB/FWB/Summer/Alt4th/IE/TS/Test/Misprinted wanted!

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:42 pm

Only Alpha had a basic land in the rare slot. Volcanic Island was missing, & an Island was used in its place.

After Revised got expensive, I always bought starters instead of packs, because they could not be searched. They always had 3 rares, plus mine always had a Sengir Vampire (an old running joke here) in them.

basic land was not an issue- either way you got a ton of it, an average of 4 1/2 lands per 15 card pack. [smiley=smartass.gif]

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:48 pm

Only Alpha had a basic land in the rare slot. Volcanic Island was missing, & an Island was used in its place.
unlimited also..
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:28 pm

Just to be clear..

Alpha, Beta and Unlimited all had 'rare islands'.  Alpha had a bonus one.  (I once watched someone open a UL booster and traded off him the Island he was stunningly unhappy to open).

They disappeared when RV was released, which originally had 2 rares, but was upped to three.

Just to clarify the commentary..

Gryfalia
He's just this guy, ya know?