Box inserts - trying to compile list

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

jtkauff

Box inserts - trying to compile list

Post by jtkauff » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:24 am

Greetings -

I'm trying to compile a list of the inserts that come in some booster and tournament deck boxes, but I've not ever seen any information online about these. For those who aren't sure what I'm talking about, pop open a new booster box of Darksteel - there is a folded sheet inside, printed full-color on both sides, usually suggesting that the store run a tournament with the box. So far, I've confirmed the existance (or non-existance) of inserts in the following sets by either opening a box myself or seeing someone open a box (I then also have the inserts marked as "yes"):

- Darksteel - yes (booster)
- Mirrodin - yes (tournament deck)
- Scourge - no
- Legions - yes (booster)
- Onslaught - yes (tournament deck)
- Judgment - no
- Torment - yes (booster)
- Apocalypse - no
- Invasion - yes (tournament deck)
- Prophecy - no
- Nemesis - yes (booster)
- Stronghold - no
- Classic Sixth Edition - yes (booster)
- Seventh - no
- Eighth - no (contains box-toppers instead)
- Revised, Fallen Empires, Homelands - no (too old)

Now, I have yet to open boxes (or see someone open boxes) for the following sets, so I can't confirm the existance or non-existance of inserts for:
- Odyssey
- Planeshift
- Mercadian Masques
- and anything Urza's Block/5th Edition or older

I'm fairly certain that everything at least from Empires back wouldn't have had anything, and I know that Homelands didn't, but Ice Age, and then Alliances onward might have. Also, the non-standard sets (the Portals, Starter, Unglued, and Chronicles) are unknowns as well.

Also note that there is a pattern: large set has an insert in the tournament deck box, 1st small has one in the booster box, and 2nd small does not have one at all. Obviously, I could guess at the existance of some inserts, but I'd rather go from firm knowledge.

Anyone able to help me add to this list? I'd love to at least finish off the list (and even better, my collection) - I can also scan what I have should Ralph like to add it to the site.

Thanks!
jt.

Muldoon
Legendary Dragon Whelp Master

Re: Box inserts - trying to compile list

Post by Muldoon » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:24 pm

Actually, a homelands box in my possession _had_ an insert, it was only a very small note (2x1 inch maybe) with a number... But its still an insert in the box ;D
I can take a picture of it, if you're interested in seeing it.
Collecting Dragon Whelps! A/FBB/FWB/Summer/Alt4th/IE/TS/Test/Misprinted wanted!

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:57 pm

Hi.
There are Inserts in:
Portal Demo Booster.
Portal Second Age Demo Booster.
Starter 1999 Demo Booster.
Starter Demo with Alternate Art Rhox on the front.
Demo Sampler 7Th Edition.
Demo Sampler 8Th Edition.
Demo Booster 8Th Edition.
Rivals American Gift Box.
All the Rivals Europeans Normal and Gift Box Version.
4th Edition Gift Box.
These are the ones that I can think of for the moment,but there are more,I will update later.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:22 pm

jtkauff: This is indeed interesting. So far, I have only tracked inserts in boosters and starters/tournament decks, but I was not aware of inserts in booster and starter/tournament deck boxes. Scans would be appreciated  :)

By the way, a good website to see which inserts are inside preconstructed decks (not deck boxes) can be seen here: http://members.rogers.com/allendensen/c ... /decks.htm

rick21n
Librarities Legend

Post by rick21n » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:07 pm

Actually, a homelands box in my possession _had_ an insert, it was only a very small note (2x1 inch maybe) with a number... But its still an insert in the box ;D
I can take a picture of it, if you're interested in seeing it.
I can confirm this little slip in a couple of older boxes I have opened.  I always thought it was something like a serial number.  It was always below any product.

jtkauff

Post by jtkauff » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:53 pm

Muldoon: quite interesting. I'll have to pull my Homelands box out and make sure I didn't miss anything, lost in the mess of booster wrappers that is in it. A pic would definitely be appreciated, as I'm almost positive that I didn't get anything in my box.

Ralph: I'll definitely get scans up when I'm able - probably won't be able to scan all of the inserts until later this week, but I can probably get one or two done tonight to give people an idea of what they are.

and dragsamou: I think we're talking about two different kinds of inserts. The ones that I'm speaking of came in booster boxes and tournament pack boxes (not the packs themselves, but the display boxes), and are basically the size of a full sheet of paper, folded in half. They are normally aimed at a retail store, and usually are for running tournaments. If I'm not mistaken, the products you listed have card-size inserts instead of full-page ones - am I remembering these correctly?

Again, I'm not really looking at the inserts that came inside packs at all - between Ralph and Allen I think we've pretty much got these covered - I'm just trying to compile the list of booster box inserts/tournament box inserts.

Thanks!
jt.

jtkauff

Post by jtkauff » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:04 pm

regarding the Homelands slip, yeah, I've gotten a number of these in early boxes, and I too assume that it was a serial number of some sort. I'm personally not too interested in compiling a list of these (since obviously every single one would be different), but if people like we can keep them on the list. Of course, if it is something different, then that's another story.

I can also confirm that I've gotten serial number slips in Revised, Dark, Empires, Ice Age, and Homelands boxes, at least.

jt.

gzeiger
Librarities Legend

Post by gzeiger » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:58 pm

Those little slips are the warehouse resupply number for reference for the store to order more product.

jtkauff

Post by jtkauff » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:28 am

As promised, here's a scan of the insert from the Mirrodin Tournament Deck box:

Front/Back (with MtG card for size comparison):
http://epitaph.kuglerworld.com/jtkauff/mir-out.jpg

Inside:
http://epitaph.kuglerworld.com/jtkauff/mir-ins.jpg

All of the others that I have (Darksteel, Legions, Onslaught, Torment, Invasion, Nemesis, Sixth Edition) are the exact same size, and I'm looking for other inserts of a similar nature. If they do go all the way back to Ice Age-era, I'm sure that they are slightly different/ have changed over the years, but I did just want to clarify what I meant by "inserts." Folded, these are just about the same size as a box, which in turn is the same size as three boosters laid side by side.

Definitely very different than the small warehouse-related slips that we were discussing earlier ;)

jt.

Archivist
Librarities Legend

Post by Archivist » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:41 am

Those little slips are the warehouse resupply number for reference for the store to order more product.
Definitely not the case for older boxes. Each number is unique to a box. We just opened a ton of older sets (Italian Legends mostly) and each slip had a different number.

This is more a tracking number - they've moved to a stamp on the inside bottom of each box, rather than the paper slip.

Customer service also uses these numbers when customers complain about product defects/missing items/etc..

To re-order product, the retailer would refer to the WOC#.
Boxes: @TCGPlayer | Singles: @CardShark | Trades: @PucaTrade

rg

Post by rg » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:02 pm

All of the others that I have (Darksteel, Legions, Onslaught, Torment, Invasion, Nemesis, Sixth Edition) are the exact same size, and I'm looking for other inserts of a similar nature. If they do go all the way back to Ice Age-era, I'm sure that they are slightly different/ have changed over the years, but I did just want to clarify what I meant by "inserts." Folded, these are just about the same size as a box, which in turn is the same size as three boosters laid side by side.
One thing i often asked myself about these:
I know different languages have different inserts, but is there a differnce between U.S. box inlays and international english box inlays (belgium)?