Snow-Covered Lands: Where did they come from?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Snow-Covered Lands: Where did they come from?

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:17 pm

I was under the impression that Ice Age Snow-Covered Lands came only in Ice Age Starters, but I recently ran across someone who claims to have a crimped Snow-Covered Land, which would presumably mean that they came in booster packs, too.

Can anyone help me?

Mr.C
Librarities Legend

Re: Snow-Covered Lands: Where did they come from?

Post by Mr.C » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:43 pm

umm... i have nearly 100% certainty that i never opened a land, let alone a snow-covered one in a pack...
I collect foils and FBB Base Sets. PM me.

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:18 pm

Snow Covered Lands were in packs AND decks.  I clearly remember this.  I bought loads of Ice Age.   :P
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

Thrond
Librarities Legend

Post by Thrond » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:33 pm

If I remember well, basic lands were in Starters only, but snow covered lands were in boosters too.

rg

Post by rg » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:51 pm

Snow Covered Lands were in packs AND decks.  I clearly remember this.  I bought loads of Ice Age.   :P
That was(is) also true  for the german version.

Cyberellium

Post by Cyberellium » Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:52 pm

Down where I live I never came across any snow-covereds in a booster.
Magic: The Gathering: 1993 - 1999.

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:57 pm

This is very odd. Ice Age and Fourth Edition are the first sets where basic lands have been printed on separate sheets and therefore were completely removed from the rare, uncommon, and common sheets. Since a typical Ice Age booster consists of 1 card from the rare sheet, 3 cards from the  uncommon sheet, and 11 cards from the common sheet, in theory, there is no place for any sno-covered or no-snow-covered basic lands.

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:44 pm

This is very odd. Ice Age and Fourth Edition are the first sets where basic lands have been printed on separate sheets and therefore were completely removed from the rare, uncommon, and common sheets. Since a typical Ice Age booster consists of 1 card from the rare sheet, 3 cards from the  uncommon sheet, and 11 cards from the common sheet, in theory, there is no place for any sno-covered or no-snow-covered basic lands.
That's true for basic lands, but snow covered lands were included on the common sheet.
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

sylvanstu
Librarities Legend

Post by sylvanstu » Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:40 pm

That's true for basic lands, but snow covered lands were included on the common sheet.
kitty's right i've seen a uncut sheet of ice age commons and it had snow covered lands on it  ;D
Collector of one of each Armageddon printed.

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

Post by Giediprime41 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:33 am

I also have had snow-covered lands my ice age boosters.
I opened one just the other day. There is a shop here that still has ice age. :o
Darren :D
I have enough cards to stack them all up, and commit suicide off the top!

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:28 am

Woohoo, double the crap land, double the fun.

I just picked up 4 boxes of Ice Age boosters, but the odds of me opening one of them up just to make sure of this one way or the other is similar to the odds of me slapping myself over and over and over...

Gryfalia
He's just this guy, ya know?

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:09 am

Woohoo, double the crap land, double the fun.

I just picked up 4 boxes of Ice Age boosters, but the odds of me opening one of them up just to make sure of this one way or the other is similar to the odds of me slapping myself over and over and over...

Gryfalia
Hi Ken.
One question?What you do with the Thousand of Boxes that you buy on Ebay,build a MTG House  ???
As I have a Sealed Collection,I can understand but I keep only one Example of each,what about you?
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

rg

Post by rg » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:13 pm

Hi Ken.
One question?What you do with the Thousand of Boxes that you buy on Ebay,build a MTG House  ???
As I have a Sealed Collection,I can understand but I keep only one Example of each,what about you?
If i may guess ... he is collecting foreign sets.  Just the same what i am trying, but i don't have the money to buy so many boxes as he did  ;)

Muldoon
Legendary Dragon Whelp Master

Post by Muldoon » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:40 pm

I know what Gryfalia is up to, but I'll leave it to him to tell you ;) I want some of those empty boxes and whelps that you got still Gryfalia!!
Oh and sorry for going OT :)
Collecting Dragon Whelps! A/FBB/FWB/Summer/Alt4th/IE/TS/Test/Misprinted wanted!

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:10 pm

Hi Ken.
Two different things.  I eventually intend to open a website dedicated to selling ONLY foreign singles.  Lots of people out there like collecting certain cards or artists and want cards in other languages than English.  Getting them is a challenge.  I intend to help there (for a profit, I'm not THAT nice).  I'm not crazy enough to have EVERY card available, but I am seeking to have a good cross-section.

The english boxes I buy I resell.  I know the buy prices of most major dealers out there, and if I see them cheaper (enough cheaper to be worth the trouble) I pick them up and sell them to the dealer.  Sometimes I will buy some boxes knowing that their value is currently rising and I will make money on the transaction in a year or so.  Case in point:  One very large dealer was buying Judgement pre-cons for $170.  I happened to be buying some boxes for someone from another dealer and saw that he had the same Pre-cons for $151.  I bought out his stock to sell to the other dealer.  I got shipping free both ways (buying because of the amount I purchased and selling because that dealer just happened to be at a local con).  Bingo, $19xquantity of boxes for doing, well, next to nothing.

Personally I only collect 'cool stuff'.  Crimps and the like, stuff that catches my eye, or rarites with some personal connection.

Buying and selling boxes is a hobby and eventually the extra money I pull in I buy something else I want.  It gives me something to do at work while I wait for the hours-long queries I run to come back with data.  Plus it's fun to get boxes in the mail..;-)

Gryfalia
He's just this guy, ya know?