Supposed Alpha Booster Box on eBay

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Erl00
Librarities Legend

Supposed Alpha Booster Box on eBay

Post by Erl00 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:01 pm

What puzzles me is that the semmer says the box is sealed while I have always heard that Alpha Boxes were not ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 46456&rd=1

Thoughts?

Eric.
Please help me finish my Boosters collection

TerraFrost
Legendary Creature For Hire

Re: Supposed Alpha Booster Box on eBay

Post by TerraFrost » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:35 pm

as long as the box isn't shrinkwrapped i think it could be legit.  of course, i also think anyone participating in this auction should complete the transaction in person, heh.
BLACK LOTUS DONATIONS NEEDED!

CURRENT COUNT: 0

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:56 pm

I was under the impression that the end of the Alpha print run had shrink-wrapped boxes, similar to the wrapping that Beta boxes had,

If anyone from the site wins, I'll be glad to go pick up the box!  ::) ;D  The seller is only a few hours from me.
Where have all the Magic sticker sets gone?

James_Hetfield2
Librarities Member

Post by James_Hetfield2 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:52 am

I've heard that both Alpha and Beta boxes did not come shrinked wrapped (a few beta may have towards the end of the print run).  We need Jim or inca911 to verify this.  

I wouldn't touch this auction.  He needs to add some pictures if he wants serious bids.  

How can one distinuigh alpha and beta boxes anyways?  I know the packs can't be distinguished (you have to feel the corners).  Is there a bar code on the beta box (like the beta starter decks have)?

If this is/was legit be interesting to see how high it would go.  At least $10,000 (I could have bought one for $3000 4 years ago :()

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:09 am

I was told by a reliable source that Alpha booster boxes were always unsealed, while Beta booster boxes partially sealed (the minority), partially unsealed. The easiest way to distinguish them is that Beta booster boxes have a bar code at the bottom, Alpha booster boxes have not.

Muldoon
Legendary Dragon Whelp Master

Post by Muldoon » Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:32 am

This is really fishy... There's, as far as I know, not too many options here.
1. The seller has bought an empty alpha boosterbox, filled it with something (perhaps revised boosters to make it look like the right color through the cardboard "hole" on top) and then sealed it with shrinkwrap. I've heard of a few such boxes lately, mainly legends though. Pure scam by the seller.
Perhaps he himself got scammed and bought such a box, and after realising it he wants to get his money back.
2. The seller has bought a box like the one I mentioned above, thinking it was the real thing, and now he's trying to sell it for a profit without knowing it's fake.
3. It's a real shrink wrapped beta box (very unlikely).
4. It's just a really big scam, the seller hasn't got the item at all, perhaps a hijacked account...

Since the seller has no pictures, not much information, and there's no reserve set, this seems like a scam. Anyone who had a real such box would have those 3 things in the auction.
I wouldn't bid at this without a whole lot of more information, pictures, and an agreement to finish transaction in person...
Collecting Dragon Whelps! A/FBB/FWB/Summer/Alt4th/IE/TS/Test/Misprinted wanted!

Erl00
Librarities Legend

Post by Erl00 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:18 pm

Hello,

I have shared my concern with the seller.

Here is his answer:
when i say factory sealed its like a term for new as i would call
it.. I understand your concern as there not factory sealed but have a
unbroken seal on the front lip with the cards inside..

I have also asked for all codes visible on the box (barcode, ISBN, WOC, etc...).

Cheers,
Eric.

Erl00
Librarities Legend

Post by Erl00 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:25 pm

F***-off this seller  >:(

I have asked him how he did know it was a box of Alpha and not beta and I got the foolwoing answer:

... cause I'm not retarded

Doing so few efforts for selling this kind of item, not even putting a pic, putting a scan that can be found anywhere., being stupid enough to make fun comments about serious questions, etc. lead me to the conclusion this is an horrible scam.

Mr Seller, go to hell.
>:(
Eric.

TerraFrost
Legendary Creature For Hire

Post by TerraFrost » Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:10 am

by implying that only retarded people can't tell the diff. between alpha and beta booster boxes, i guess he's kinda saying that a lot of us are retarded ('cause i suspect a lot of us don't know how to tell the diff.)...

anyway, i find it interesting that someone would bid $8000 dollars with so little evidence.  i also find it interesting how the seller and the current higher bidder seem to have bought from ea. other before.  this makes me wonder...  perhapes the accounts are related, and perhapes some shill bidding is going on?
BLACK LOTUS DONATIONS NEEDED!

CURRENT COUNT: 0

robsmasher

Post by robsmasher » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:55 am

The box has been taken offline.
The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale.

Muldoon
Legendary Dragon Whelp Master

Post by Muldoon » Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:28 am

I like the amount eric bid ;D I'm glad to see it taken offline though, no fooled customer :)
Collecting Dragon Whelps! A/FBB/FWB/Summer/Alt4th/IE/TS/Test/Misprinted wanted!

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:38 am

It is quite possible that a private bid was made. This is not unusual for high-price items.

Erl00
Librarities Legend

Post by Erl00 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:35 pm

It is quite possible that a private bid was made. This is not unusual for high-price items.
To my mind, watch out for many more PSA-Graded Alpha cards from Dacardworld.com in the future ;)