Alpha/Beta starter random card distribution?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

blackfire100

Alpha/Beta starter random card distribution?

Post by blackfire100 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:07 am

Is an alpha/beta starter random? I mean, is it like a pre-con deck, or is it more like a booster?also, how many cards in an alpha/beta starter, and are there any basic lands?

:)  Thanks guys :)
Image The Great One

Muldoon
Legendary Dragon Whelp Master

Re: Yet Another Noob Question

Post by Muldoon » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:18 am

Is an alpha/beta starter random? I mean, is it like a pre-con deck, or is it more like a booster?also, how many cards in an alpha/beta starter, and are there any basic lands?

:)  Thanks guys :)
The old time starters were just like the modern tournament packs are, except they contain 60 cards.
2 rares in the older expansions (some revised decks had three) not sure when it comes to amount of basic lands, im guessing 20 or 25.
They're much harder to search too (is there any real method not requiring some crazy science lab?) so if you're gonna open some old product, go for a starter :)
Collecting Dragon Whelps! A/FBB/FWB/Summer/Alt4th/IE/TS/Test/Misprinted wanted!

blackfire100

Post by blackfire100 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:36 am

thanks alot. ;)
Image The Great One

Vilan

Re: Alpha/Beta starter random card distribution?

Post by Vilan » Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:55 pm

It's like a big booster. Completely random. You get 2 rares, 9 uncommons, 27 commons and 22 basic lands if I remember rightly. I opened an Unlimited starter a while ago and I think that's what I got, pretty sure Alpha/Beta are the same. There may also be extra basic lands amongst the commons.

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:08 am

and one of your rares may be an island
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:05 am

The old time starters were just like the modern tournament packs are, except they contain 60 cards.
2 rares in the older expansions (some revised decks had three) not sure when it comes to amount of basic lands, im guessing 20 or 25.
They're much harder to search too (is there any real method not requiring some crazy science lab?) so if you're gonna open some old product, go for a starter :)
Yeah, open it up and then re-shrinkwrap it.  Early expansions did not have the fancy Wizards shrink wrap like they do now.  Any shrink wrap machine should be able to do the job.  And before you ask, many places have shrink wrap machines.  Any place that does an item re-stock like Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.  I avoid early starters for this reason just like I avoid early boosters.

Muldoon
Legendary Dragon Whelp Master

Post by Muldoon » Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:43 am

** ****. I never thought abuot that, that was no nice news... When I think about it, it makes perfect sense, could be done looking flawless from the outside...
Argh. I guess I'll have to get my alpha starter from inca if I can fix the cash ;)
Still, a disappointment...

edit by AXIOS.
offense wording removed.
Collecting Dragon Whelps! A/FBB/FWB/Summer/Alt4th/IE/TS/Test/Misprinted wanted!