Ice Age Starter Box Trivia

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Ice Age Starter Box Trivia

Post by l0qii » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:29 am

I was looking at Ice Age Starter boxes the other day and noticed a slight blue to purple tint variation. Looking closer I noticed that at some point during the print run of Ice Age the price of a starter changed from $7.95 to $8.95. The later boxes are more purply and lack the dark outlines around the art and letters. Everything else, including ISBN are identical and I'm pretty sure the card themselves never changed at all.

My question is, has pricing ever changed mid-set like this ever besides during Ice Age? All the recent price changes I believe happened between sets.

Question 2, anyone interested in 2 empty Ice Age starter boxes? :)

Celebrindor

Re: Ice Age Starter Box Trivia

Post by Celebrindor » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:53 am

l0qii wrote:Question 2, anyone interested in 2 empty Ice Age starter boxes? :)
Yes. Especially if you have the rulebooks too.

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:26 am

Of course I have the rule books ;)

Or at least I have a bunch of Ice Age rule books, but they all appear identical and I can't assure which ones came with which boxes.

Archivist
Librarities Legend

Re: Ice Age Starter Box Trivia

Post by Archivist » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:41 am

l0qii wrote:My question is, has pricing ever changed mid-set like this ever besides during Ice Age? All the recent price changes I believe happened between sets.
In September 1995, there was a price increase on packs of Ice Age, 4th edition, and Chronicles.

I went to look for an old thread on this subject, but it's disappeared. Here's a Google cache link to it. I'll find a more permanent way of documenting this info sometime soon.

edit: http://wiki.mtgarchive.net/Price
Last edited by Archivist on Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boxes: @TCGPlayer | Singles: @CardShark | Trades: @PucaTrade

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:49 am

Oh I don't remember that thread. Thanks. So Spet 95 is the only time it ever happened mid set then?

Archivist
Librarities Legend

Post by Archivist » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:10 am

l0qii wrote:Oh I don't remember that thread. Thanks. So Spet 95 is the only time it ever happened mid set then?
I believe that is correct. I can't recall any other.
Boxes: @TCGPlayer | Singles: @CardShark | Trades: @PucaTrade

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:34 pm

I am NOT amused :evil: This thread about different prices on old starter decks seems to have vanished - along with quite a few other threads which I were not intended for deletion. Since I have not paid much attention to the archive lately, I can not tell when they vanished and why. Could these threads have become lost because of the forum replacement? If somebody can help my solve this mystery, please let me know.

The information needs to be restored. Fow now, the latest version of the (apparently still complete) archive can be seen here: http://web.archive.org/web/200411301319 ... bb/YaBB.pl

Note: I consider this a critical situation. If you encounter something like this, I would like to hear about it. I am watching over this forum, but I am not all-seeing, especially not in the recent past due to time constraints.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:36 pm

Ralph Herold wrote:I am NOT amused :evil: This thread about different prices on old starter decks seems to have vanished - along with quite a few other threads which I were not intended for deletion. Since I have not paid much attention to the archive lately, I can not tell when they vanished and why. Could these threads have become lost because of the forum replacement? If somebody can help my solve this mystery, please let me know.

The information needs to be restored. Fow now, the latest version of the (apparently still complete) archive can be seen here: http://web.archive.org/web/200411301319 ... bb/YaBB.pl

Note: I consider this a critical situation. If you encounter something like this, I would like to hear about it. I am watching over this forum, but I am not all-seeing, especially not in the recent past due to time constraints.
I have a great deal of free time today, so I will look through that archive and see if I can notice any others that were lost.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:54 pm

First of all, Ralph, I would point out that the archive you mentioned is from November - it is 9 months old. Keep in mind also that the forums were re-organized some time after that (early spring, IIRC?) However, assuming that no threads have been intentionally deleted from the archives since then (and I dont think they have been, at least not on this scale), then quite a few are missing.

From the 11/30/04 archive to now:
Magic Standard Products section has decreased from 45 threads to 6.

Magic Promotional and unofficial items has decreased from 49 threads to 5.

Misprints and packing errors still had 52 threads (however, looking at that category now, at least 20 posts were started AFTER 11/30/04, thus there are obviously threads missing, though the numbers agree.

Card Structure and Integrity has gone from 17 threads to 6.

Item value and availability has increased from 32 threads to 47, but again, a MINIMUM of 20 threads have been started in that category
after 11/30/04, so it should have even more.

Searching, Buying, Paying, Shipping, Storing has decreased from 20 to 16 threads.

Magic Industry information went from 12 to 8.

Member information went from 6 to 5 - however, only 2 of the original threads are there - the other 4 long-running threads in that category are gone, and 3 threads that were in other categories before are there now.

This leads me to believe that some of the threads may not be missing, simply placed in the wrong category (though a large number do seem to be completely missing). I have also concluded that the searching feature is not working correctly - it does not find threads that I KNOW exist.[/u]

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:32 pm

Celebrindor: Thank you for your efforts so far. The more data to work with, the better.

I have reinstalled the old forum and - fortunately - the missing threads are still there. You can read more details in my announcement on the Website board.