Source of names

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Vilan

Source of names

Post by Vilan » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:57 am

Found this article mentioned on the Wizards message boards, some of it explains stuff I hadn't heard mentioned before as to where certain names of cards came from, thought some others might be interested too.

http://www.allenvarney.com/av_mgcwords.html

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Re: Source of names

Post by mintcollector » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:22 pm

Wow, nice find.  Very interesting read.  I had heard some of these before, but not all by far.  This is definitely worth bookmarking for future reference!

victorcamp
Librarities Legend

Post by victorcamp » Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:04 pm

Barl's Cage is named after a friend of mine, Burl Zorn, from Source Comics and Games (http://sourcecandg.com) in St. Paul. He was my DM in the early 80's, and has brought many an unsuspecting novice into the world of gaming. He was a friend of the artist, Tom Wanerstrand. Burl's the one on the right in Academy Researchers, by Stephen Daniele.

inca911
Librarities Legend

Post by inca911 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:36 pm

I didn't know you were from MN, victorcamp!  We should get together sometime and talk rarities.  I played at the Source a few times ages ago.

victorcamp
Librarities Legend

Post by victorcamp » Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:40 pm

I didn't know you were from MN, victorcamp!  We should get together sometime and talk rarities.  I played at the Source a few times ages ago.
Minneapolis! I contributed a few designs to their Magic Madness set last year. Haven't heard about this year's set yet.

sylvanstu
Librarities Legend

Post by sylvanstu » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:41 am

Vilan thanks i really enjoyed the article. At the end they mention more info on later expansions. Do you know if they ever did it. I'd love to read it also    ;D :D
Collector of one of each Armageddon printed.

Vilan

Post by Vilan » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:49 am

I dunno. I poked around the guy's home page a bit and found another Magic article that goes into a bit more detailed about the concept of mana in the real world, but that's about it. There's an e-mail address for the guy though, you can always ask him if he did more.