Wargamming

Everything else.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Wargamming

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:16 pm

Seriously, if any of your would like to taste the old table war games again try Hexwar.com

You don't have to subscribe. You can play the SPI introductory Napoleon at Waterloo as much as you want free, to kinda see if your really interested in joining for other games (all of which you can try for a turn or two).

If you decide to give it a shot, make an account and then let me know your handle and I'll challenge you. or, pm me when your ready and I'll open my profile for challenges and you can challenge me.

In general I leave my challenge options closed so I don't get swamped with requests.

See you in Belgium.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:46 pm

Hey Gary,

Alright, I think you talked me into it. I don't know if I'm ready to pay just yet, but I set up an account. My username is "thulnanth", same as here... or anywhere for me, actually (lol).

I've heard good things about it from both you and another friend, so I figure I should at least try the free demo. :-P I'll try and find some free time to launch a game later this week.

Take it easy,
Jared

PS - saw under the campaigns they have one called "Kursk"... yeah, I might end up paying at some point to try it out :wink:
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:08 am

Jared;

Be sure and go into your profile and under challenges turn off what you don't want to get challenges on. As long as you are a free player NAW may be the only one you can select.

There is a game point system and new people are sometimes jumped on by people wanting to bump their points up.

Let me know when your ready, we can do it as a casual pace so don't fret.

Gary
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:44 am

I'll check this out-
BITD I played PBM games a bit and one called "Alamaze" was just resurrected and running at a site called: kingdomsofarcania.com
My favorite game ever asides MTG and Axis and Allies-
It also costs $ to play and a good player base. It's like an Avalon Hill fantasy wargame- Dragon did a huge article on the game in the late 80's and it won a lot of awards-

I wish there was an online version of A&A - I'd pay to subscribe to that.

Hex games are good/fun but the learning curve on some were pretty high. they were churning them out and it's like you needed a Doctorate to understand the rules of those things sometimes.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:01 pm

Jarad:

Waiting fot that N at W challenge. Peter and I look like we may split Borodino with him winning a higher level of victory as the French than I will... remains to be seen.

Come on guy, lets count cadence and get those cannons rolling...

Name on there is Treefriend.

Gary
Gary Adkison

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:55 am

Hey Gary,

Ugh... been so busy here lately. My girls started back up with school (5th & 7th grades), and I've been trying to build a bedroom in my basement. It seems when I'm not working (at my job), I'm at a school event or drywalling and painting. 8-|

I played a couple of times solo - I forgot just how complicated hex games can be... and fun. At first I mistaked the 2 numbers for attack and defense, rather than attack and move. I was shocked when my 1-5's kept getting blown away when I used them to anchor my lines!!! Yeah, I flanked myself a lot. :-P

Hopefully things will settle down soon and I can play a real game against you. The room is close - just need to finish staining and hanging the trim. After that we need to figure out what to do with the stuff that was in the area we turned into the room. Prior to this project, it was my "man cave". :'-(

I haven't even played a game of Commander in weeks... cards gathering dust are just sad. Soon, soon.

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:36 am

thulnanth wrote:Ugh... drywalling. 8-|
This sums up my general attitude towards life at the moment. Nearing the end of a full basement reno, and man do I hate the drywalling. When you suck at mudding, and lay it on too thick, the sanding becomes a second job! Doesn't help that the birth of our 2nd child is imminent (due date was 2 days ago), and this is the current state of the basement that was supposed to be done upon said arrival.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:53 am

berkumps wrote:
This sums up my general attitude towards life at the moment. Nearing the end of a full basement reno, and man do I hate the drywalling. When you suck at mudding, and lay it on too thick, the sanding becomes a second job! Doesn't help that the birth of our 2nd child is imminent (due date was 2 days ago), and this is the current state of the basement that was supposed to be done upon said arrival.

Very Minimalist design, I like it :-D
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:35 pm

berkumps wrote:
This sums up my general attitude towards life at the moment. Nearing the end of a full basement reno, and man do I hate the drywalling. When you suck at mudding, and lay it on too thick, the sanding becomes a second job!
Wow... you've definitely got it worse than me - I feel your pain. We only had to do 1 room which involved putting up a wall to close off part of the basement. The biggest trick here was that our basement is finished already. Projects like these are messy enough as is - when you're trying to be neat it's almost impossible.

Fortunately I'm an awesome mudder - I could decorate cakes for a living!!! :-D

Take it easy,
Jared