To all stupid MTG fans who think their cards are valuable

Everything else.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

To all stupid MTG fans who think their cards are valuable

Post by ende73 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:40 pm

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:18 pm

As I opened up this thread, I was thinking that you were going to make fun of people that keep posting their 70/30 centered cards as miscuts and expecting large premiums. The Honus Wagner auction was actually fun to look at. Just think how many Magic cards the second place bidder could get with his spare $2.1 million.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:59 pm

Yes this card is infamous in sports collecting circles, but then again it was printed in 1909.

Let's resurrect this thread in 2097 when a Black Lotus is 104 years old, and then compare values... ;)

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:05 pm

... If Magic is still a playable game.

tap4black
Legendary Alpha Collector

Post by tap4black » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:21 pm

l0qii wrote:Let's resurrect this thread in 2097 when a Black Lotus is 104 years old, and then compare values... ;)
Wouldn't we both love to be around to see that day! :-D
#2 All Time Finest PSA Alpha Set, GPA of 9.64, now retired and re-graded via Beckett. BGS GPA 9.40 after shipping off several pieces to JM!

Current Alpha Rare count = 1500+!

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:29 pm

See, I can actually PLAY my Black Lotus. You can't do anything with baseball cards except look at them. They're useless.

Alifromcairo
Legendary All Alpha Elitist Wannabe

Post by Alifromcairo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:21 pm

Oh my gosh !!!! I sold my last 2 Honus Wagner for 2 bucks to a young kid 7 years ago in a Walmart parking lot... ](*,)
Visit the Shores of Imagination

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:51 pm

tap4black wrote:
l0qii wrote:Let's resurrect this thread in 2097 when a Black Lotus is 104 years old, and then compare values... ;)
Wouldn't we both love to be around to see that day! :-D
WE sure would---kid.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

tap4black

Post by tap4black » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:19 am

mystical_tutor wrote:
tap4black wrote:
WE sure would---kid.

Gary
My back has been letting me know on a regular basis of late that I am indeed no longer a "kid"......... :-\
#2 All Time Finest PSA Alpha Set, GPA of 9.64, now retired and re-graded via Beckett. BGS GPA 9.40 after shipping off several pieces to JM!

markers
Legendary Signed Card collector

Post by markers » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:18 pm

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:See, I can actually PLAY my Black Lotus. You can't do anything with baseball cards except look at them. They're useless.
Full ack

Never understood the thrill of Baseball cards...
Signed card collector

Alpha - AL, ST, EX, UD, REV, UNL, LO & MO: 100% signed
Grand Total signed cards: >43'000

I have a Youtube Channel

tap4black

Post by tap4black » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:47 pm

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:You can't do anything with baseball cards except look at them. They're useless.
Until say, you sell it for $2.1 million dollars. That is a LOT of Lotus purchasing power!

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:59 am

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:See, I can actually PLAY my Black Lotus. You can't do anything with baseball cards except look at them. They're useless.
Nonsense! They are great fun in the spokes of my bicycle!

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:21 am

markers wrote:
Full ack

Never understood the thrill of Baseball cards...
You had to be there! It was mainly a US thing, since cards were hard to find in Canada and the Caribbean (meaning many of those cards are valuable) and impossible elsewhere.

Football and Basketball were sports when you were at school, baseball was all summer and associated with no school. You listened to baseball games on the radio while doing other things like riding your bike to find a pick-up game, playing whiffle ball in the back yard or stick ball in the street, etc.

Baseball players were the heroes of Summer, and the cards were your link to them. Because baseball was all about stats, and the card was full of them. Baseball cards dominated collectible cards, outselling all other collectible cards combined. And this was when Topps was the only national card company.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:13 am

That is really true. Weather they were in the spokes of a bicycle or just pulled from the bubble gum package they were a specialty item that now-a-days is all overshadowed by i-this and i-that. When all you had in the electronics world was a radio these things were vivid and live and colorful.

Most of you will never be able to imagine how impressive the world news was in those days WHEN YOU SAW IT IN THE MOVIE THEATER JUST BEFORE THE MOVIE......

Kids and adults are way too spoiled now.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:43 pm

Ahhh baseball cards... along with coins they were my gateway to collecting.

Yeah, I'm guessing that dates me a bit (lol). I still have my coins but my cards are long gone. It was the advent of MtG that spelled the end of them, actually.

Friend "Check out these new cards. You can play a cool game with them, like D&D".

Me "So I can collect them and then play with the extras? Awesome!!!"

So I dove in. My non-sportscard collecting friends thought we were mad for buying these new "Magic" cards by the box.... not a bad move in hindsight :wink:

Sold all the sportscards in '95 and never looked back.

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.