The General

Everything else.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

The General

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:14 pm

Kinda off topic but collectors are collectors.

For those of you that used to play AH board war games, you will remember the AH publication The General. Darn fine wargamer rag.

A person here in CS has a complete set of these, many in plastic.

Any of you interested in giving them a good home PM me with why you would want them.

Gary

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:26 pm

Hey Gary,

Ah, loved that mag... Not too many people posting these days remember the fun of playing wargames: my personal favorite was The Russian Campaign. Lots of time playing ASL, The Battle of the Bulge, Fortress Europa, Arctic Storm, etc. I was also a huge fan of the scenerios they had in Command magazine - my favorite was the invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1938. There was something kind of catharic about spending a Friday night getting all the chits sorted and the game set up, so you could have a buddy over on Saturday for a rousing 6 hour game of world conquest (lol).

Alas, that style of gaming has passed. I remember my first GenCon ('95) hitting the War College and seeing all the great games being played - I had never seen so many wargamers!!! One thing I did notice - I was the youngest guy in the room at 24... everyone else was easily 30 or older. Most people just don't wargame anymore.

Two of my buddies who used to play are like me - married, kids, job, etc. The third guy, who was the main one I played with and the one who introduced me to wargamming (I was a roleplayer when we met), passed away a few years back - the one I reference in my sig. He had a collection of games that was incredible - I have no idea how much he spent or how much effort he put into acquiring it, but it was a lot. Once he died his wife just wanted it gone. She gave me a few games, but I'm unsure what happened to the rest. I know Troll and Toad was buying (and paying well), so I gave her their buylist and contact info - not sure if she follwed up. It was after this that I showed my wife the exact value of my stuff and gave her specific instructions on how best to sell if anything ever happens to me!!!

I hope someone comes forward with a passionate interest in your friends magazines; they are valuable gaming treasures that should be cherished =D>

Take it easy,
Jared

PS - can't believe I'm actually starting to tear up after all this time. Amazing how many good friends you meet playing games...
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:13 pm

Ya, I kinda feel the same way. Every so often I'll look at my pile of AH (panzerblitz, etc) and long for another idiot like myself that would spend that kind of time to just set the game up.....

I found a better way. It is called Hexwar.com Met the guy at the Essen Spiel several years ago. He is in England and just keeps plugging along. Has a LONG list of board war games on his site. You can play Napoleon at Waterloo (the SPI intro version) all you want for free or almost anything from ACW and Napoleon + a lot of WWII Europe and Pacific for a small monthly subscription. You can play against a large pool of opponents.

AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO PUNCH OUT OR SET UP A SINGLE PIECE !!!!!!!

My subsctiption has lapsed (played a lot with my son Peter but then he got busy again) but it you get interested drop me a line and I'll resbscribe so we can go at it.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:22 am

I never got into wargaming, seemed to have a lot of things going on at the same time and took ages to set up.

I did have a work mate who introduced me to Gothic, something to do with moving spaceships around a tabletop with a ruler and working out whether you could shot someone elses ships or some such. We spent one evening going over the rules etc. and the next time I came round I brought a couple of decks of Magic cards. we never played Gothic again but when I left the UK he was a raging Magic addict, which was handy as I managed to dump all my commons on him before I left.

One thing we did hear, over and over again, was how Magic was destroying gaming!

Role players and minature players were all taking up Magic and no longer playing the other games.

gzeiger
Librarities Legend

Post by gzeiger » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:56 pm

I have several of those games - Panzerblitz, Panzer Leader, Flashpoint: Golan, Third Reich, Panzer Armee Afrika... I've never found anyone willing to actually play a full game with me except by email correspondence. I was always lucky to even find a game of Axis and Allies. One day when I have time I'll look into that website Gary. Probably early next year.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:20 pm

gzeiger wrote:I have several of those games - Panzerblitz, Panzer Leader, Flashpoint: Golan, Third Reich, Panzer Armee Afrika... I've never found anyone willing to actually play a full game with me except by email correspondence. I was always lucky to even find a game of Axis and Allies. One day when I have time I'll look into that website Gary. Probably early next year.
Man you bring back a lot of memories. Peter and I used to spend hours playing them, along with about 7 young officers that were trying to find something to do to stay out of trouble in the evenings at Ft. Polk.

If you ever get interested in that please drop me a line and I'll resubscribe. It goes a lot faster than regular PBM and on a weekend you can do turn after turn. The way the system is set up you are actually playing two games at the same time as you play both sides against each other. So as say, the Confederates you send off a turn of The Wilderness and then start doing the battle from the Union side. It really is fun when you have no time pressure.

Gary
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

gzeiger
Librarities Legend

Post by gzeiger » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:28 am

When I say early next year I mean the latter half of January. I do have a date in mind.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:55 pm

gzeiger wrote:When I say early next year I mean the latter half of January. I do have a date in mind.
I'll hold you to that...<grin>
Gary Adkison