Confederate Currency

Everything else.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Confederate Currency

Post by berkumps » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:37 pm

I found these in a collection I got, and was wondering if anyone here collects or has knowledge of such things?

I don't know which would have value, and how to identify whether they are real or replicas.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:45 pm

Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:49 pm

An interesting pick-up, and well worth pursuing. I would advise a bit of caution on the referenced site's pricing. They are in the business of pumping up interest and prices. Prices for legitimate Confederate currency are pretty decent. And some of the best "Civil War Era" counterfeits are collected as well.

But Confederate currency has also been reproduced for decades. As a kid I remember getting stacks of reproduced currency during a visit to the South. You can still get all sorts of reproductions for nominal cost (go check Amazon).

It is worth checking out to see if yours are "real". But it may take you a while to figure out how to verify what you have. If so, they could be a great topping to your purchase.

But as an example, compare your Florida note to the "real" thing, here:
http://www.csanotes.com/lg_notes/OBSOLE ... _10352.htm

The real note has red ink, while your scan, if accurate, does not.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:57 pm

hammr7 wrote:An interesting pick-up, and well worth pursuing. I would advise a bit of caution on the referenced site's pricing. They are in the business of pumping up interest and prices. Prices for legitimate Confederate currency are pretty decent. And some of the best "Civil War Era" counterfeits are collected as well.

But Confederate currency has also been reproduced for decades. As a kid I remember getting stacks of reproduced currency during a visit to the South. You can still get all sorts of reproductions for nominal cost (go check Amazon).

It is worth checking out to see if yours are "real". But it may take you a while to figure out how to verify what you have. If so, they could be a great topping to your purchase.

But as an example, compare your Florida note to the "real" thing, here:
http://www.csanotes.com/lg_notes/OBSOLE ... _10352.htm

The real note has red ink, while your scan, if accurate, does not.
Hi Hank
I used to collect coins, never bills, I just send the link as a little helper for Mark, then for him, to find out. As usual, thanks for your input.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:07 pm

I remember that most of the repo stuff I had came from cheerios boxes or some such and was stiffer than real. Only a couple of the bills you have are the same bank as those though.

Best of luck, wish I hadn't sold mine while in college (along with some home made Phillipine bills from the Japanese occupation that are worth tons now....sigh).

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:52 am

Take them along to a coin club or coin show, many of the dealers there offer free evaluations and you can take them around a few to get a decent offer. You can probably sell them as well.

The dealers will only offer you a buy price. The actual value of the bills will be higher which is why you would need to visit a few of them.

Nice find.

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:21 am

Pretty cool find :-O

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:52 pm

My father collected these a long time ago. Since he pasted I sold what he had confederate money wise. I believe these depend on who they were signed by. It's been ages since I did anything in regards to researching these notes. I can ask the guy I sold mine to and let you know if he would ever pick up his phone. Condition also matters a great deal but that's pretty much with anything.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61