PayPal Buyer Protection

Everything else.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

PayPal Buyer Protection

Post by l0qii » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:27 pm

I recently filed a dispute over a purchase I made, but it got closed immediately for the following reason:
"In order to qualify for PayPal Buyer Protection, a payment has to be recognized by the PayPal system as being associated with an eBay auction. As this payment was not sent as an eBay payment, the payment does not qualify for PayPal Buyer Protection."
How long has this eBay only policy been in place? Am I to assume that all non-ebay payments that go through paypal are at my own risk now?

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Re: PayPal Buyer Protection

Post by berkumps » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:08 pm

l0qii wrote: How long has this eBay only policy been in place? Am I to assume that all non-ebay payments that go through paypal are at my own risk now?
I don't know, but if this is the case, paypal has just become useless for secure off-ebay transactions.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:45 pm

That would be a change. Paypal used to offer protection on all tangible goods, that is anything that was physical and needed to be shipped. Their only exclusions were things like software (that could be transferred electronically or easily copied) and local pickups, where they couldn't confirm shipment.

This change, if true, may vary by country.

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:51 pm

hammr7 wrote:This change, if true, may vary by country.
I'm in the US, and it came as a response to the claim I submitted right on the PayPal website, so it's definitely true.

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:10 pm

From the current User Agreement, colors added by me.
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/websc ... pbp-policy
13. Protection for Buyers.

The following terms are effective for transactions made on or after 10/31/08. To view the protection terms and conditions for transactions made prior to 10/31/08 see Exhibit “A” (under section 13.9) below.

13.1 How am I protected if I have a problem with a purchase?

PayPal has two programs to help protect you:

*PayPal Buyer Protection (for eligible items purchased on eBay)
*PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy (for all other items purchased on or off eBay)
13.5 PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy

1. What is the PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy?

It is PayPal’s process to help you resolve a problem with a seller through the PayPal Resolution Center for purchases that are not eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection.
PayPal will generally make a final decision for an Item Not Received (INR) Claim, but will not make a final decision for a Significantly Not as Described (SNAD) Claim, or Claims involving the following purchases: intangible items, licenses, airline flight tickets, services, vehicles, live auctions, real estate, classified ads on eBay, or other items as determined by PayPal (collectively “Ineligible Items”). This means that unless the seller voluntarily refunds your money, you will not recover any amounts for a SNAD Claim or a Claim for an Ineligible Item filed under the Buyer Complaint Policy.
So since I actually did receive the item, I filed a SNAD Claim. Under the new policy they are not willing to hear my claim.

For details on why this item arrive $3.85 postage due, you can refer to my previous post here about our new Postal Policies regarding Delivery Confirmation:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=6278

My Recommendations
1. If an item you purchased arrives postage due, have them return to sender. Then the seller will either mail it again or you'll be eligible to file an INR Claim in PayPal.

2. If you're a seller, DON'T assume that just because a 3rd party lets you print a Delivery Confirmation label, that your package is eligible for this service!

3. Don't use PayPal for non-eBay transactions unless you fully trust the other party.

pp
Legendary Complete Set Collector

Re: PayPal Buyer Protection

Post by pp » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:02 am

l0qii wrote: How long has this eBay only policy been in place? Am I to assume that all non-ebay payments that go through paypal are at my own risk now?
That is really really shitty! When I buy outside the EU I usually pay via paypal.

But also in Germany, just to have a fast money transfer, I use paypal whenever it's possible to pay E-shops. Well now I'll avoid paypal, it's useless when you have no security.

Thanks a lot Tim showing this!

[edit]paypal.de
paypal.de wrote:Anspruchsberechtigung. Um den PayPal-Käuferschutz in Anspruch nehmen zu können, müssen die folgenden Bedingungen erfüllt sein.

3.1 Der Käufer hat den Artikel bei eBay gekauft und mit PayPal bezahlt.
means: same in Germany, ebay only >:-(

in addition:
paypal.de wrote:6.2 Verfügbarkeit des PayPal-Käuferschutzes. PayPal behält sich das Recht vor, jederzeit im eigenen Ermessen und ohne Angabe von Gründen den PayPal-Käuferschutz zu ändern oder zu streichen. Offene Forderungen zum Zeitpunkt der Streichung werden weiterbearbeitet, bis eine endgültige Entscheidung vorliegt.
means: paypal may cancel/change the buyer protection anytime w/o giving a reason!

equi-nox76
Legendary Blue Spell Blaster

PayPal

Post by equi-nox76 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:32 am

OMG, I bought a set last week in the US outside of Ebay and paid via PayPal.
I don't get an answer from the seller anymore, so I thought about opening a claim.
IF that is really true and I get the same answer I will NEVER EVER use PayPal again, even not WITH Ebay!!! >:-(

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:45 am

First thing : DON'T USE PAYPAL ! I know it is a pain in the a** for me, but I use it very seldomly compared to the amount of money I am transferring worldwide.

Second thing : If you use Paypal, make sure that you make the payment using your credit card money, as if you have a claim, you can always issue a chargeback against the seller.

The bank will always protect you better than Paypal.

Paypal recently advertised on how "they changed" to the seller's benefits and strengthening buyer's protection, but it seems this is not the case.

Now that they have fired hundreds of people, they will try to save as much as they can, and f*** the users as they always did...

You should use moneybookers with the escrow service if you need, this is THE solution...

equi-nox76

superbest_1999

Post by equi-nox76 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:11 am

Just called PayPal as a potentially new user.
I asked them to let me know how I can get my money back when I buy something in the US out of Ebay... There is no way getting the money back, only if the seller has more claims than one, so they can make a collation claim LOOOOOOOOOOL >:-(
At the end I told them that I prefer using other payment options then, since they are absolutely useless.

By the way, does anybody know Ebay-User superbest_1999 from Canada? He's the one that does not respond...

Chris

l0qii

Re: superbest_1999

Post by l0qii » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:33 pm

equi-nox76 wrote: By the way, does anybody know Ebay-User superbest_1999 from Canada? He's the one that does not respond...
Chris
I don't know them, but if you receive nothing at all you can still file an Item Not Received (INR) Claim. Such claims still have slightly better protection than if you actually receive something in that they are still willing to read your claim and make a decision.

equi-nox76

INR

Post by equi-nox76 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:54 pm

Hm, I hope so! [-o<
But I still hope that I'll get an answer from the seller, since the set is something I really need to finally complete the collection.
Chris

equi-nox76

Superbest_1999

Post by equi-nox76 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:25 am

Halleluja, got my package on saturday =D> :-P
Fortunately he DID send it to me (he did not answer because he was on the Philippines) and it passed our customs without problems because he inserted the "birthday"-letter as requested =D>
So Superbest_1999 is trustworthy!

But now I'm extremely sceptical concerning PayPal, whithout Ebay and a seller I know I prefer other payment-options now...

Chris