Need Computer + OS Donations for people with Disabilities.

Everything else.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Mr.C
Librarities Legend

Need Computer + OS Donations for people with Disabilities.

Post by Mr.C » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:53 pm

So, basically, i teach computing to people with disabilities, in Vancouver, BC.
I work here:

http://www.neilsquire.ca/

We basically help people with all sort of disabilities to find employment, learn computing, and be more included in general society.

We have a computer refurbishing program, where we take older computers (PIIs, PIIIs, etc), put Win2k or Windows 98 on them (yuck, btw) and programs such as OpenOffice, Typing tutors, etc. We also give monitors, keyboards, sound and mice.

Basically, we donate to people that have a disability, and generally do not have money to purchase a new computer. For people on government aid, it is unimaginable to be able to buy a computer, and we all know how important a computer is if you want to study, get a job, etc.

Basically, what i`m looking for is:

People who can help me find companies in the Greater Vancouver area willing to donate us systems.

Minimum specs (if any of these are fulfilled, we take them):

- 450 MHz (even first-gen Celerons)
- 64 MB RAM
- CD/DVD-ROM
- 15" Monitor (or larger), produced on/after 1998
- Original Windows 98 or Windows 2000 or Windows XP Licence

Also, we would really like someone to talk to inside Microsoft, who could be willing to supply us Office 97 and 2000 Licences at greatly discounted prices. We currently supply our computers with OpenOffice, but, since we teach using MS Office, we would prefer to ship computers with it. However, $80+ for a licence is very hard on a non-profit. Basically, we WANT to use Microsoft, but the costs are prohibitive.

I am aware that some members of this forum have worked for quite a few years in the the IT field, and may know people willing to help.

* We give tax receipts for all donations received. Good thing, now that tax time is coming.

We`d very much appreciate any donations. Our current computer stock consists of eight PII 350s, and that is bad. If anyone can help, email me @:

valterc at neilsquire.ca (work email)

thanks.
--Valter