First time coming at Gen Con - Need help

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

jamesbond
Legendary Secret British Agent

First time coming at Gen Con - Need help

Post by jamesbond » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:13 pm

Hi,

I'll come for the first time at Gen Con this year.

I'd like some advices if you can help me.

I saw "4 day badges" on the Gen Con website, is it the badge i need to visit from thursday to sunday?

I didn't understand the "ticket" system. If i want to participate at an MTG tournament i have to buy "tickets" to pay the event? Or can i pay with cash on site?

Accessory question, are they a "free wi-fi" connection in the room?

Regards,

Raphael

Blood
Librarities Hero

Re: First time coming at Gen Con - Need help

Post by Blood » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:25 am

jamesbond wrote: I'll come for the first time at Gen Con this year.
Welcome to the party! It is a great time. Make sure you make it out to the bar with Gary and the rest of us, it will be good to meet more members.
jamesbond wrote: I saw "4 day badges" on the Gen Con website, is it the badge i need to visit from thursday to sunday?
Yes, that is the badge you want to buy, it gets you in all 4 days. If you can get it mailed to you, do that. If you do not, the line you have to wait in is HOURS long.
jamesbond wrote: I didn't understand the "ticket" system. If i want to participate at an MTG tournament i have to buy "tickets" to pay the event? Or can i pay with cash on site?
You do not enter the tournaments with cash, only tickets. There are two types of tickets, Generic Tickets and Specific Event Tickets. Generic Tickets can get you into events that have room. They cost $2 each. If a draft costs $16 and there is room left, you will have to buy 8 Generic Tickets. Specific Event Tickets are Tickets you buy to get into an event you want to play. If the event costs $16 to play, you will buy a single ticket for that event that will cost $16. These Tickets guarantee you will get into the event. If an event sells out and you do not have a Ticket for it, Generics will NOT get you in. If you think an event will sell out, buy the Ticket for that event. You can buy these tickets for cash onsite, but there are lines to wait in. If there is an event you have your heart set on, I would buy the ticket in advance for that event so it does not sell out. Note, these Tickets are NON_REFUNDABLE, but you can cash them in at the end of the weekend for credit the following year.
jamesbond wrote: Accessory question, are they a "free wi-fi" connection in the room?
This depends on the hotel.

Hope you have a great time, and maybe we can meet up for some drinks. Jason

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:10 pm

Raphael;

I can not really add anything as the advice above is very good and correct (as we would expect from Blood....hehe).

I can add a wish... That the lines will not be HOURS long as they have been at some times past--I can tell you terror stories when you are there....

My suggestion is: Buy tickets online for the events you want. To wait for the sale on site is risky. Buy specific tickets. If an event you want is sold out online (like True Dungeon usually is), find another event. But if you try to buy it online and can't get it you have more information to plan with. The Magic playing area is a pool thing. You can draft at almost any time by just walking in, paying money and waiting till there are 8 players, at which time you will be put in a draft location and turned loose. Magic events need tickets.

If you (or any of the forum) have a problem, contact me 7*1*9 3*5*1-3*4*9*9 and I'll try to help. I have no power there but sometimes I might know something that helps.

If you were asking about wi-fi in the convention center (verses your hotel) I can check and find out. I don't think there is. People have their own service connections for phones and pads--I'll ask Peter.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

implode
Legendary Dragon Master Collector

Post by implode » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:37 pm

I really hope I can make it some year, would be great to meet so many of you.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:38 pm

Peter is not aware of any convention center wide WiFi. The hotels are the best bet and thy may not be free (this is a convention town you know... LOL).

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.