Mass Market Magic Information

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Mass Market Magic Information

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:33 pm

I thought I'd post some information that I have come across with mass market Magic vending. I hope others will build on this and that we might get a sticky to keep it for historical reference.

As mentioned before there seems to be at least two companies that vend MTG (along with a bunch of other stuff) at Wall Mart stores (Beckett and Excell).

One company, Beckett, evidently stocks a WM based on the feet of display area they have for their combined products. The recent Commander decks with the Broodmate Dragon promo was only stocked in one store here in CS that had a large enough display area. Other WM stores vended by Beckett did not get it. I did not find it in the stores stocked by Excell.
The stocking venders did not know in advance what products would be available that week.
They were unable to order specific products.
They visit a store twice a week. Once to stock a new shipment and once to tidy up and restock from present inventory.
They return damaged products to their company.
They are uncomfortable with strangers asking questions.

An assumption based on this information. The commander deck/promo could have been the result of damaged commander products that were repackaged.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.