a warning to my friends about edh

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

a warning to my friends about edh

Post by dry cereal » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:08 am

Beware making an edh deck. An EDH deck is a vortex to the center of the universe that you throw money in. There is no hope for us collectors who make an edh deck. Only doom and poverty.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:28 am

You kids with all your 'pimping'!

I have been collecting for so long I forgot it was a game as well, not that any of the rules are the same from when I played it.

Default User
Librarities Hero

EDH

Post by Default User » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:28 am

Welcome to the club.

I found that the first deck was OK, just decimated most of my higher caliber trade stock, but the second deck started to leave ugly holes in my sets. The good part was starting it before most europeans did, so I did get some sweet deals at the beginning.

At least I'm at two decks, but I have the itch to have a third one for different metagames.
Global old art Lightning Bolt collector, mainly missing fwb and Summer.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:32 pm

I realized when i made my first EDH deck and focused on Horsemanship that there is no sin in using white bordered cards. The problem is that not all cards were printed with white borders....sigh.

So lets go thrifty, start a new fad of white border only. Maybe we can have a new format. I can see it now. Grand International tournament! Format: EDH-OWBO (Old white borders only). First prize would be an UL Black Lotus....

Wouldn't the secondary market love this?

Gary

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:37 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:I realized when i made my first EDH deck and focused on Horsemanship that there is no sin in using white bordered cards. The problem is that not all cards were printed with white borders....sigh.

So lets go thrifty, start a new fad of white border only. Maybe we can have a new format. I can see it now. Grand International tournament! Format: EDH-OWBO (Old white borders only). First prize would be an UL Black Lotus....

Gary
Rubber industries will love it much more ^^

Ram-Gang
Librarities Member

Post by Ram-Gang » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:59 pm

There's a guy in Denver that plays a white bordered EDH. He has white bordered all the cards that are black bordered only.

I think you need to first find a build your comfortable with before pimping it. And try to pimp the staples, especially artifacts, first so you can use them in any deck.

-Travis

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:59 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:I realized when i made my first EDH deck and focused on Horsemanship that there is no sin in using white bordered cards. The problem is that not all cards were printed with white borders....sigh.

Gary
I could see this becoming an issue with Summer edition cards. I have a feeling that's why some cards have spiked recently. EDH and T1 players trying to pimp out there decks. Either way even foiling an EDH deck out with English foils isn't a cheap task these days.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:18 pm

I hear you guys. Been working on a Korean/Foil EDH project for almost two years now! Only 18 cards away! :'-(
squt: Sweet! That's the best trade - one that doesn't cost a thing.

pickle.69: NO DRINK ON THE FUCKING TABLE

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:25 pm

The biggest trap I've fallen into with EDH is wanting to add dual lands and fetches to support every deck. I've currently out-stripped my ability to do this, so I'm either adding a lot of new cards to my collection or changing how I do things. I'm now thinking that I might go to the model of only allowing one copy of each individual card across all of my EDH decks. This would certainly keep things cheaper and lead to a unique experience with each deck.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:28 am

Gary
I joined the game in Revised, I was very upset that the first expansion I got (Fallen Empires) had a different colour border and didn't match my decks. I was relieved when the Fourth Edition was released and we went back to white borders.

caquaa
Librarities Legend

Post by caquaa » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:38 am

psrex wrote:The biggest trap I've fallen into with EDH is wanting to add dual lands and fetches to support every deck. I've currently out-stripped my ability to do this, so I'm either adding a lot of new cards to my collection or changing how I do things. I'm now thinking that I might go to the model of only allowing one copy of each individual card across all of my EDH decks. This would certainly keep things cheaper and lead to a unique experience with each deck.
imo you'd enjoy the format more if you didn't play the same cards in every deck. EDH does get boring when the same cards turn up every game, so building a deck that just plays off the wall cards is great fun. My goal in my decks is to have at least one card in there that my opponents have to read when I cast it.

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:02 am

psrex wrote:The biggest trap I've fallen into with EDH is wanting to add dual lands and fetches to support every deck. I've currently out-stripped my ability to do this, so I'm either adding a lot of new cards to my collection or changing how I do things. I'm now thinking that I might go to the model of only allowing one copy of each individual card across all of my EDH decks. This would certainly keep things cheaper and lead to a unique experience with each deck.
Not a bad idea. I personally just keep a playset of everything, and build my EDH decks from that. As of now I have 15 decks - after a point you really have to think about which decks get the Sol Rings, Cultivates, Fetches, Forcefields, Diamond Valleys, etc.

Another note - I run at least 1 Alpha/Beta edition "old school" card in every EDH deck, regardless if it's "the best" card I could. Examples:
Jenara - Veteran Bodyguard
Doran - Cockatrice
Ruhan - Two headed Giant
Kaalia - Shivan Dragon, Serra Angel
Jhoira - Vesuvan Doppelganger
Shirei - Royal Assassin
Damia - Craw Wurm :)

Gotta love the old stuff, right?

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

Blood
Librarities Hero

Post by Blood » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:25 pm

I also have a ton of decks and many Different Themes to the way they are Built and Not the Actual Cards in them. You will understand as you read these below. (Note, 5 Color was my favorite format ever, and since that is dead, I have to channel my 5 Color-ness somewhere and EDH was just that place).

I have a Red EDH that is ALL Foreign OBSCURE ASS cards that no one really knows what they are and the goal every time I play is to see how many times I can cheat without getting caught. It is an absolute blast to play and at the end of the game everyone also gets a kick out of it. When I say cheat, I do not mean drawing extra cards or the like, I mean making up what the cards do. What does a Chinese Sphinx-Bone Wand do? How about a Korean Elkin Lair. Or even a 5th edition German Smoke that most people have never seen the picture for. Did you know that a Spanish Purging Scythe also deals 2 damage to EVERY creature with the least toughness and you also gain 2 life for each damage done, or at least it did in the past? I love that a French Fire Tempest does 6 damage to each creature you don't control and each opponent, sometimes. On occasion a foreign Slagstorm lets you damage creatures and players in a single cast. I can not stress how much fun this is.

I also have a project that is a few years old that I am building EDH decks that are ALL artists proofs. The caveat here is I can only get cards from artists I meet in person. I do not buy them off of players, from ebay, in collections or through the mail from artists. This is a personal goal of mine and 1 of the decks is almost complete and come GenCon this summer I think I will be done. Spectrum was a huge help (and a huge cost). I have some great cards for these decks, but obviously they are not 100% optimal lists since I can not get to see all artists. I can't wait to drop my Moat proof in a game for the first time. I will tell you that the basic lands are the hardest to get. Since it is EDH I am only getting 1 of each land picture in there, and it is tough to find 30 or so Unique basics of each color.

Another deck that I have been working on for a while is 2 all Foreign Foil decks. One is a Big Green Giant Creatures deck (that is finished) and the other is a Kaalia deck. There are a few things that make the Kaalia deck actually pretty cool. 1st it is all different languages. Some people like all a single language, but me I like the variety. I like that all the cards look different. I love the Spanish word for death Muerte and it makes alot of the card names sound really cool (Demonio del Portal de la Muerte), where as Japanese it wouldn't. To each their own. I also like the chase with the deck as Japanese is really easy to find for most cards, but obscure languages of older cards are really hard to track down, hence using alot of different languages. The other thing I think is cool about the deck is that I have it set up 5 different ways. There is an Optimal version, an Angels version, a Dragons version, a Demon version, and a Random version where I put all the creatures in a pile face down and count the number out randomly and play it like that. The big green is basically all huge dudes that turn sideways.

I also play ALOT of peasant EDH. Our rules are your general is any uncommon creature and then you play 7 other uncommons in your deck/sideboard and the rest are commons. You have a 10 card sideboard and you play that you get to sideboard before each game. With no rares and mythics it is much harder to have Answer-Alls in your main deck. I pimp these decks out by playing either all foreign or signed or misprint cards where I can. This format is SOOO good to play because there are so many decks that are not just all auto-included cards like regular EDH is. Some of my favorite peasant EDH Generals are: Golgari Guildmage (grind out, card advantage, slow control, Favorite Peasant EDH Deck), Sludge Strider (thopter foundry combo), Sigil Captain (enchantment combo), Army Ants (LD), Llanowar Mentor (big green beats), Bloodbraid Elf (rg beats), Skirsdag Flayer (human creature control) and many others. I suggest other people try this format, as it is a refreshing change from regular EDH.

I have many regular EDH decks also. I can't wait to play my Thromok the Insatiable deck I just built!

I just recently opened a small shop so my playing time is severely limited with a full time job and now a shop on weekends, so many of these decks have alot of dust on them, but I will gladly play any members here if I meet you at a convention! Happy EDHing. Jason

EDIT:
thulnanth wrote:Gotta love the old stuff, right?
thulnanth I agree. I forgot to mention I have an EDH deck that is ALL Old Frame cards and an EDH deck that is ALL White Bordered cards. Nothing like the past.

Worth
Librarities Legend

Post by Worth » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:33 pm

i lold...great OP :)

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:14 pm

Blood wrote:the goal every time I play is to see how many times I can cheat without getting caught.
Cards like this are how I cheat in EDH: