Gen Con 2012

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:25 pm

ritnecrowin wrote:Sadly, I won't get hang out with you again this year Gary... or anyone else for that matter...
I decided with last years rampant theft during the Vintage event, that I wasn't going to attend this year. Instead, I'll be taking a 10 day Disney World vacation with my family.

I hope everyone has an awesome time and make sure to get a Librarities group pic again!
Sorry to hear that I won't see you again but not sorry that your taking a good vacation with your family. Do all the bonding you can with them. Time is all too short and they are the important part of your future.

Still not understanding "rampant". I asked Peter and he is not aware of any spike in theft reports last year and was under the impression that the Con was doing good in the security area. Hope that is true but I know Magic players are a BIG target and any event.

Wear your L5R or D&D shirts and no one will ever bother you. Reinforce that with an Airlines type handled push bag and they won't even sit next to you, specially if you don't shower.

Gary

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:33 pm

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:46 pm

Thanks, I had not seen that thread and am forwarding it to Peter.

I will be interested to see if anyone elevated this to the GenCon staff as, is noted here, Pastime is running the events. I think they are contracted by WotC so reports may never have gone to GenCon itself. Not sure at all but will try and find out.

Advice given is very good, suggestions are good but I agree with the DCI suggestion that you attend such events with:

1) your cards--in hand
2) a randomizer
3) Pencil and paper
4) necessary tokens or die.
5) the clothes on your back (and bottom)
And that's all.

Gary

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:13 am

This has been up for a little over a month. You might be interested in it.

I'm told that they are keeping their plans close hold and I can understand why.

http://www.pastimes.net/news/2012/jun/2 ... es-events/

I got a brief on some of the action last year and it looks like a pretty experienced group that worked the show.

Hope they get nailed this year but in any case keep a tight watch on your stuff.

Gary

Apocalypse2K
Legendary Apocalypse Tempest Collector

Post by Apocalypse2K » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:27 pm

This year I will arrive Indianapolis at Wednesday 10 AM. Someone knows good sightseeing location at Indianapolis? I have to killing 7 hours waiting for my roommate arrival. #-o

kidicarus2000
Librarities Member

Post by kidicarus2000 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:14 pm

Hiromichi - I'm not sure what you like to do, but Indianapolis has a pretty well-known art museum. It's probably their best claim to fame as far as tourist attractions go.

If museums aren't your thing, the Indianapolis Zoo is also one of the highest ranked in the nation. I've never actually been there myself, so I can't say for sure how good it is, but I've heard good things about it.

If you don't want to go to a tourist place but just want to see something different, you can go to the area of town known as Broad Ripple. It is an interesting part of town, with a lot of small restaurants and shops.

Hope this helped, let me know if you have any other questions. Have fun in Indy!

Apocalypse2K
Legendary Apocalypse Tempest Collector

Post by Apocalypse2K » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:24 pm

kidicarus2000 wrote:Hiromichi - I'm not sure what you like to do, but Indianapolis has a pretty well-known art museum. It's probably their best claim to fame as far as tourist attractions go.

If museums aren't your thing, the Indianapolis Zoo is also one of the highest ranked in the nation. I've never actually been there myself, so I can't say for sure how good it is, but I've heard good things about it.

If you don't want to go to a tourist place but just want to see something different, you can go to the area of town known as Broad Ripple. It is an interesting part of town, with a lot of small restaurants and shops.

Hope this helped, let me know if you have any other questions. Have fun in Indy!
Thank you reply. I check museum and/or Zoo.

markers
Legendary Signed Card collector

Post by markers » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:17 pm

I am currently looking into visiting Gencon next year.

One of the problems I see though is that my fiancee who comes along and is not soooo much into gaming (she does play board games and several card games but no Magic) would get bored ...Do you guys have any arguments for me to convince her?

Otherwise I will have to visit NY on our return trip and visit those stores that sell "highly pressurized coal" (aka diamonds) for her :wink:

Thanks!
Signed card collector

Alpha - AL, ST, EX, UD, REV, UNL, LO & MO: 100% signed
Grand Total signed cards: >43'000

I have a Youtube Channel

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:18 pm

Apocalypse1150 wrote:Thank you reply. I check museum and/or Zoo.
I think you know but as a reminder, public transportation in the US is rather limited.

There is a shuttle bus that goes from the airport to the hotels in the convention center area. I have had trouble finding it at the airport because it seems everyone wants me to take a taxi. I know it is there though because I have taken it from the hotels to the airport.

Around town buss service exists but takes some planning and I think you can get information at the airport for where the museum/zoo is. Taxi drivers are the same all over the world. If your from far away and don't know where you are going they will get you there by the longest route possible.

Have fun and see you there.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:50 am

Only 3 people have answered the poll (a couple threads down from this one). If there are only 3 of us meeting it will be really easy....

LOl.

Gary

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:22 pm

I just realized that by not attending this year I'll have as many years in a row not going... 9 (from '04 to '12) as I had going ('95 to '03).

I think that cinches it - next year it's time to return and start a new streak :-D

Hope everyone has fun!!!

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:08 pm

For those of you that are going, PM me for my phone number and hotel info. Right now it looks like the best time will be Friday evening but I don't know when the big Magic events are being held and have been having trouble with the schedules on the web site.

Champions is a hotel bar that we met at last time. If there are only 6 or so it will work fine. If there are more we can grab a table in one of the overpasses.

Gary

kidicarus2000
Librarities Member

Post by kidicarus2000 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:47 pm

Legacy Champs is on Friday and Vintage Champs is on Saturday, so either day could possibly conflict with those if one of us is doing well. They start pretty early though, so unless you make a deep run you should probably be free around dinnertime.

I didn't bother responding to the poll since I'm not 100% sure if I can meet or not. But I'll do my best to make it whatever day/time you decide to do it.

See you guys there!

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:23 am

Well, my wife and I are going to be there Saturday and Sunday. Normally I'd make a 5-day trip of it, but she cannot get Thurs/Friday off and I don't want to hit Trade Day this year.

For the record, the zoo is really close. The Museum is a bit further (tho there is one of Western (as in cowboy/indian/etc) art very close that is nice. Broad Ripple is quite a bit further and would probably require a bus trip.

I have a binder with some specific cards that I was requested to bring. an Alt 4th Shivan, 2 Ball Lightnings, and some random other Alt 4th. I won't be spending much time in the Magic part because I do that all year long, and I spend a whole day of GenCon walking to Great Hall for business.

Hope to see some of you soon!
He's just this guy, ya know?

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:30 am

Having a little trouble communicating. I have gotten two voicemails that were just static.

Lets try Chanpions at 7 pm Friday. Saturday is a problem for some.

In any case please try and contact me if your here and I'll try and meet up with you even if you can't make it on Friday.

Gary