Does anyone know peeks21 ?

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

yvel
Librarities Legend

Does anyone know peeks21 ?

Post by yvel » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:14 pm

Hi,
does anyone know peeks21 ?
He is a huge seller on the Bay ...

Thanks

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Re: Does anyone know peeks21 ?

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:17 am

yvel wrote:Hi,
does anyone know peeks21 ?
He is a huge seller on the Bay ...

Thanks
I do not - I noticed a few of his cards a while ago because I was looking for a Beta Sol Ring. Some of the Beta cards looked off to me so I passed.
squt: Sweet! That's the best trade - one that doesn't cost a thing.

pickle.69: NO DRINK ON THE FUCKING TABLE

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:24 am

His Lotus appears rebacked, and my guess is that his other stuff is too. He sold this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220845542285

Which has the wrong artist and is either rebacked or trimmed Beta (or Alpha-cut Beta, I guess). I would stay far away.

mwagee
Librarities Legend

Post by mwagee » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:09 am

saw some of his items too but i guess my eyes arent as sharp.
how can you tell theyre off or rebacked?
would love to know for future ref- tks!

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:27 am

For me a big thing is coloring. I know that isn't very descriptive but after staring at cards for 15 years I know what the fronts and backs of cards should look like most times I find the gamma on cards that are fake to be way off.

Another big tip off for me is strange wear patterns. Sometimes the wear on the front and back of the card just don't match up. In my experience most cards tend to damage more on the back then front but sometimes there is such a large discrepancy between the front and the back that it just doesn't make sense.

Corners like Ben has stated are pretty important as well. Think those fake Ancestral Recalls with the really rounded corners.

IIRC this is a pretty good resource.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:33 am

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:His Lotus appears rebacked, and my guess is that his other stuff is too. He sold this one:

Which has the wrong artist and is either rebacked or trimmed Beta (or Alpha-cut Beta, I guess). I would stay far away.
Good catch on the artist!!!!

Gary

caquaa
Librarities Legend

Post by caquaa » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:39 am

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:His Lotus appears rebacked, and my guess is that his other stuff is too. He sold this one:

well from the auction he noted:

"Welcome Ebayers to this listing for a Tropical Island Dual Land from the Beta MTG set. This is a real authentic Beta card. Card condition is shown above in HQ scan of actual card. Please note corners on this card are cut to look like an Alpha"

however, corners being wrong is usually a sign of rebacking so that little description could be the cover. I wouldn't touch it.

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:49 am

Front of the Lotus is miscut like a CE card, but the back is not. This is not typical of legitimate Beta cards but is typical of rebacks.

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:08 pm

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:Front of the Lotus is miscut like a CE card, but the back is not. This is not typical of legitimate Beta cards but is typical of rebacks.
Yea that was a huge flag for me as well since most of the CE cards are cut like that.

i_set_fire
Librarities Hero

Post by i_set_fire » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:47 pm

I got a beta jet from him a couple years ago. It was rebacked. After a month of ignored emails I pointed out the close proximity in which we live to each other and got an apology and a refund.

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:34 pm

i_set_fire wrote:I got a beta jet from him a couple years ago. It was rebacked. After a month of ignored emails I pointed out the close proximity in which we live to each other and got an apology and a refund.
Thank you for confirming my suspicions. See you in two weeks at Xtreme.

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:40 pm

Rebacks, means that you take the front of a CE cards, cut corners, and paste it on a real card ?

Right ?

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:36 am

yvel wrote:Rebacks, means that you take the front of a CE cards, cut corners, and paste it on a real card ?

Right ?
yes, you paste it on the back of a real card.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:37 pm

yvel wrote:Rebacks, means that you take the front of a CE cards, cut corners, and paste it on a real card ?

Right ?
As a note for interest, I saw a rebacked card broken at an event when the "buyer" took a close look at it and then applied the bend test (bending it standing up). Just snapped in two. The "seller" started getting hot when he realized everyone was glaring at him. Then someone said something to the effect "take your counterfit sh** out of here--I don't want to see your face again"--we didn't.

Doesn't have to be a CE card. I have seen others that were "sliced and pasted". Those were not P9 cards though--can you belive Avan Commander? Real nice job too.

Gary

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:23 am

Yeah, the bend test kills rebacks. I have seen rebacks graded as real cards, though, so obviously not everyone is up-to-speed on these.