Graded mtg Opens Beta Starter

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Keevy Bogsbury
Librarities Member

Graded mtg Opens Beta Starter

Post by Keevy Bogsbury » Thu May 05, 2011 11:14 pm

I don't know if anyone here has seen this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2f__jm4 ... re=related

If so, I was wondering what your reaction(s) are?

I have to say that I was quite saddened when I watched this. First of all, the time walk and underground sea are right next to each other on the rare sheet, and unless something unlikely happens I think most of the time you will get two rares that are vertically adjacent to one another on the rare sheet. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) Hence this has got to be the second best possible pull from a Beta starter (the best being lotus + anything).

The thing that is so disheartening to me about this video is that Mr. Chang does not even seem to really care or get particularly excited about his pulls. And in any case, he will just resell them as graded cards anyhow. There are so many collectors who would die to merely open a Beta starter at all, even with garbage rares. The excitement of doing so would be huge. Add to that, lucking out and finding not only an underground sea but a time walk as well? Wow. That would be a day to remember! Mr. Chang on the other hand seems fairly nonchalant.

It is also strikes me as odd that a professional dealer would decide to open such a rare commodity. I think everyone here knows that you open beta starters at your own risk - the odds are against you, and it is overwhelmingly more likely that you will end up with considerably less than what the sealed product is worth. I am definitely not trying to suggest any foul play or anything, but it just strikes me as very lucky and a bit surprising (surprising that he would have decided to open it in the first place).

I guess I would ideally like to have seen some collector who saved up to buy that starter open it and get those rares, rather than someone who buys and sells such high value cards every day without thinking twice of it. Instead there is now one less beta starter with power rares in it. :-(

What are others' thoughts? maybe I'm making a big deal over nothing.

[Edit: By the way, I love how he has like $30,000+ in cards just sitting on his kitchen table! :-P ]
Last edited by Keevy Bogsbury on Fri May 06, 2011 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Thu May 05, 2011 11:32 pm

lol his pack is totaly empty ... sad for him

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Re: Graded mtg Opens Beta Starter

Post by berkumps » Thu May 05, 2011 11:35 pm

Keevy Bogsbury wrote:I don't know if anyone here has seen this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWqUGdZvV2I

If so, I was wondering what your reaction(s) are?

Reaction #1

Turn your damn cell phone off when you're filming the video

Reaction #2
Thanks for showing us how to open a starter deck, I was lost before this video.

Reaction #3
How can you not know the exact numbering of a set you should be intimately familiar with?

@ 2:05

"So earlier my math was wrong, you're gonna have to essentially get, there's about 120 rares, about 308 cards, so you have about a 1/60 chance to get that Black Lotus."

Reaction #4
What happened to the number 7? (see 5:36)

NeRo
Librarities Legend

Post by NeRo » Thu May 05, 2011 11:48 pm

yvel wrote:lol his pack is totaly empty ... sad for him
the post is also referring to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2f__jm4ol0
berkumps wrote:Reaction #4
What happened to the number 7? (see 5:36)
made me smile after i re watched this particular scene ...

he seems to have no/not much connection to the game besides getting stuff and resell it for unbelievable prices which makes me kind of dislike him.

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Fri May 06, 2011 12:18 am

Everyone hates that guy.

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Fri May 06, 2011 12:28 am

First off welcome to the Library Keevy!

1. This is similar to watching a slow motion train wreck.

2. This would have been way better for my sick sense of humor if it was D. Chang.

EDIT: Watching this on my phone and I skipped the intro/waited to read your post - it IS D. Chang hahaha.
squt: Sweet! That's the best trade - one that doesn't cost a thing.

pickle.69: NO DRINK ON THE FUCKING TABLE

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Fri May 06, 2011 12:56 am

I hate seeing his high graded cards that are signed on the friggin OUTSIDE of the cases!!! >:-(

That drives me nuts ... And worse than that is the thought of anyone buying one of these!!

Every time I see one of those on feebay it makes me want to go drink Koolaid!!
](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Keevy Bogsbury
Librarities Member

Post by Keevy Bogsbury » Fri May 06, 2011 2:42 am

So I royally screwed up when posting this... #-o I didn't know that there were actually two videos of him opening beta starters. I just pasted the url to the first one Google brought me to. I meant to post a link to the video that NeRo links to (thank you for correcting me NeRo).

I edited my post to change the link to the right video. My apologies for the confusion!

Also, thanks for the welcome Ertai's Familiar! :)

i_set_fire
Librarities Hero

Post by i_set_fire » Fri May 06, 2011 3:48 pm

Hayden wrote:I hate seeing his high graded cards that are signed on the friggin OUTSIDE of the cases!!! >:-(

That drives me nuts ... And worse than that is the thought of anyone buying one of these!!
There is a video preceding the two beta starter openings and if I heard correctly in the videos, it sounds like the moxen have been sold already.
At least the lord of the pit was unsigned. Probably because Tedin signatures are so rare :^o

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Fri May 06, 2011 9:14 pm

i_set_fire wrote:
Hayden wrote:I hate seeing his high graded cards that are signed on the friggin OUTSIDE of the cases!!! >:-(

There is a video preceding the two beta starter openings and if I heard correctly in the videos, it sounds like the moxen have been sold already.
At least the lord of the pit was unsigned. Probably because Tedin signatures are so rare :^o
Yah sigs on outside of card cases = meaningless = probably forgery = hello sucker!!

I'm going to start selling my PSA 9 Moxes and Lotuses with the tagline...

"CASE TOUCHED BY RICHARD GARFIELD - CONTAINS HIS DRY SWEAT!!"

or even better

"RICHARD GARFIELD LOOKED AT THIS CARD!"

or best yet!

"I WAS ON PHONE WITH GARFIELD WHEN I PULLED THIS LOTUS!!"

\:D/

bronty

Post by bronty » Mon May 09, 2011 1:54 am

My reaction?

That I can't believe there is a thread analyzing and criticizing the way the guy opens packs. Get over it people! He paid good money for the right to open the pack and he can open it any darn way he pleases. Its one thing to not like his business practices or whatever if you don't care for them on some legitimate basis but if we are criticizing the way he opens packs then we all need to step out of our basements and or mother's basements and go for a quick stroll outside for some fresh air people! :-\'

He IS excited about that pull, make no mistake. He is excited when he sees the underground sea and more so when he sees the time walk.

Maybe his excitement is for "dealer" reasons (money) and not "collector" reasons but who the heck cares. Its just a dude opening a pack of cards guys... its not the spanish inquisition. I'm sure he's opened dozens if not hundreds of beta starters and boosters by now to find "gradeworthy" candidates. What do you expect him to do? Touch himself on camera because he got a good pull? One good pull deserves another? :-k
Last edited by bronty on Wed May 11, 2011 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

bronty

Post by bronty » Mon May 09, 2011 1:59 am

Every time I see one of those on feebay it makes me want to go drink Koolaid!!
](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
personally I like those. If its an expensive card I don't want it signed right on the card. Having the case signed lets me have the sig without compromising the card.

Mind you I "grew up" with comic collecting.... and while there is now a service that allows for witnessed signatures, for a long time sigs were kind of the kiss of death because you couldn't prove if it was a real sig. Having the case signed took away the risk of the comic or in this case card being ruined.

gzeiger
Librarities Legend

Post by gzeiger » Mon May 09, 2011 2:54 am

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:Everyone hates that guy.

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Mon May 09, 2011 3:34 am

gzeiger wrote:
Tha_Gunslinga wrote:Everyone hates that guy.
Bronty your last name wouldn't happen to be Chang would it?
squt: Sweet! That's the best trade - one that doesn't cost a thing.

pickle.69: NO DRINK ON THE FUCKING TABLE

bronty

Post by bronty » Mon May 09, 2011 6:53 am

my secret is out!