Mail Brag!

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed May 30, 2012 7:19 am

Nice pics random, now you just need a nice frame like this to complete the industrial look!

Not sure my wife would let me hang any Magic art on the wall, I am not even allowed to hang any of my Australian aboriginal art and that cost me enough, I should have just spent the money on a Kidicarus2000 Alpha Mox instead.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Wed May 30, 2012 7:55 am

Frame is high end- Image sucks cause to avoid reflections/glare due to the museum glass they have to be taken at an odd angle which makes the glass invisible and also dulls the frame as a byproduct. If I take an image to show the quality of the frame basically the art looks dull and it's reversed...
In person, real museum glass is invisible basically.
The piece looks amazing, truly.

High concept frames seem like a good idea but then early MTG art is more "organic" oddly when you actually match them up and frame test.
Watercolors/Gouache don't mix well (in person) with modernistic frames (from my experience at least) but I know what you mean... also these are good paintings but A LOT of the early art is very rough around the edges and it doesn't play well with metalic frames and whatnot. It seems like it would but alas...

Gunslinga: I have several pieces and A LOT "could" be for MTG but sometimes I assume one way or another incorrectly-
I have 2 on E__y now and another Goblin Secret Agent ready to sell. Death Pulse and another are on the auction site. I prefer to sell them privately and elude the fees but alas it's not that easy to find people who want the art for "Death Pulse" or whatever-

Older art is what you mean though, most likely, or "amazing" cards or something like that. Yeah, I have that stuff too. Right now though I have those 3 for sale if anyone wants some art. I'm not a dealer or anything (I own a printing company) but I publish a lot of art books and prints and whatnot and have met artists in this manner.

I also have a pile of art proofs I was wanting to sell to donate to Drag but unsure if random proofs have any value or not. I have piles... I stopped bothering but my "prints" idea or whatever (stopped checking the thread) didn't gain traction so the best I could do is sell some AP's but maybe they're worthless for all I know...

That's my Spiel for May. In June I'll hopefully have a finished version of the Urzas Power Plant and maybe my next project. Hasta!!

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Wed May 30, 2012 8:50 am

I think it is starting to dawn on me that you meant a LOT when you said you have a lot of magic art...

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed May 30, 2012 11:32 am

Last time I got a painting framed I spent $200 on the art work and $260 on the framing and 'non-reflective' glass. That was a basic black frame and family discount!

I have the rest of the paintings rolled up in tubes, they are much bigger and sadly way beyond my budget to frame.

Most people don't consider the style or cost of framing when buying artwork, I know I didn't!

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Wed May 30, 2012 2:51 pm

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:Man, those Urza pics are AMAZING. What else do you have for Magic art?
Agree, let's see more!
squt: Sweet! That's the best trade - one that doesn't cost a thing.

pickle.69: NO DRINK ON THE FUCKING TABLE

tryst

Post by tryst » Wed May 30, 2012 4:52 pm

LOL!
I've also spent more on the framing than I did on the original art!
After the UV protected, non-glare, safety glass and the two-tone matching mattes and the custom frame, a $200 painting easily costs $500+!

tryst

jamesbond
Legendary Secret British Agent

opened yesterday

Post by jamesbond » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:27 am

Hi,

Look what we opened :

http://youtu.be/T3x8I8AUumo

Planechase filler "blank" :-O

MagicIsCardboardCrack

Post by MagicIsCardboardCrack » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:31 pm

This is more like a "retro"mail brag since I got this about a year ago, but my account wasn't active then:

MagicIsCardboardCrack ...and I'm addicted.

Knutsen
Legendary Old Card Frame Enthusiast

Post by Knutsen » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:18 pm

"There is no cow level!" ;)

Doymecca

Re: opened yesterday

Post by Doymecca » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:31 pm

jamesbond wrote:Hi,

Look what we opened :

http://youtu.be/T3x8I8AUumo

Planechase filler "blank" :-O
Very very nice :)
What deck did you get it out of?

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:14 pm

I guess depending on where you live and how you like to spend your money, there are places like Mitchel's hobby store that will frame quite reasonably. Being US Army retired, I go on post to the woodcrafting shop that has a framing section where I can do it myself for the price of materials.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:58 pm

I spend a ton on framing-

I never saw any frame stuff when I was in the Army, wow!

The economy is KILLING frame shops. Frames are an extreme luxury purchase, more-so than art. I get a very good deal on frames but still it's $$$ to get good moulds/glass/matte -

Best thing you can do if you use a frame shop is to be blunt about the $$- ask them if they have extra frame materials (they all do) and look through those and select something. The shop pays 0 for that stuff (some guy before you already paid for it).

MagicIsCardboardCrack

Post by MagicIsCardboardCrack » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:49 pm

Knutsen wrote:"There is no cow level!" ;)
lol! But there is a pony level....

(Punisher#1664 if you ever wanna go :D )
MagicIsCardboardCrack ...and I'm addicted.

kidicarus2000
Librarities Member

Post by kidicarus2000 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:54 am

This is my first time posting to mail brag, this was just too cool not to post. A big thanks to Hayden for making the deal easy and safe, I am very excited to own this piece of Magic history!

I added the text on the picture to avoid having a bunch of fake Summer packs pop up on eBay. I know this was an issue with some Beta box scans getting out in the past, so I wanted to make sure that same problem didn't happen here.

Last edited by kidicarus2000 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:34 am

Apparently I am too dumb to help!

Very nice, Hayden must be close to retirement soon!