Mail Brag!

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:37 am

Edited in some of the UNL test prints.

@Gary: Do you happen to recall where or when so I can search for that post? Looking for some more info on these. Any other discussion threads would be very helpful too.

manaman22
Librarities Member

Post by manaman22 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:51 am

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=8405

Here is the thread where worth posted the ones he has.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Thanks for finding that, I couldn't remember who put them up and didn't know what to search for.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:33 pm

ouallada

:-O , Just wouah !

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:54 am

Thanks for the link, guys. Unfortunately it didn't really yield any new info but was useful all the same. Should these get added to the images on the main site?

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:59 am

Thanks for the link, guys. Unfortunately it didn't really yield any new info but was useful all the same. Should these get added to the images on the main site?

implode
Legendary Dragon Master Collector

Post by implode » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:50 pm

Anyone have ouallada contact info...would like to learn more about his judgement (8th?) test cards...are they one of a kind? Fledgling Dragon has me drooling pretty hardcore. That is awesome man =D>

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:32 pm

are they one of a kind?

Extremely unlikely. The better question is how many made it out of WOTC/Carta Mundi.

If they print these up they're going to produce quite a few sheets. It's not cost effective to just make one or some low # unless you're specifically making a "rarity" (like the Garfield announcement cards or something like a rare prize card).
The cost of printing 1 sheet of these things or 50-100 sheets requires the same press time and set-up time and everything else. The cost of the paper is the least issue if you print something not in bulk.
There's absolutely 0 reason to only print a few of these cause WOTC could easily say they want more examples of something and then the printer/s have to do more work- press crews don't like to do more work... so you make more than you need by a good margin and when it's stuff like "examples" you print up extras versus some limited supply.
There's absolutely 0 reason WOTC would make "test prints" a manufactured rarity as they're never intended to go into booster packs.
The question really is how many people were going to make this decision about the new look of the cards and I'd imagine nearly everybody at WOTC was asked for input.

I think it's extremely wishful thinking that this type of thing could be a "one-of" item or even ultra rare. It could very well be that, for now, in the hands of "collectors" but if they command $$$ I'd imagine more would turn up. Possibly a lot more. This is logical imo-

implode
Legendary Dragon Master Collector

Post by implode » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:50 am

random wrote:
are they one of a kind?

Extremely unlikely. The better question is how many made it out of WOTC/Carta Mundi.

If they print these up they're going to produce quite a few sheets. It's not cost effective to just make one or some low # unless you're specifically making a "rarity" (like the Garfield announcement cards or something like a rare prize card).
The cost of printing 1 sheet of these things or 50-100 sheets requires the same press time and set-up time and everything else. The cost of the paper is the least issue if you print something not in bulk.
There's absolutely 0 reason to only print a few of these cause WOTC could easily say they want more examples of something and then the printer/s have to do more work- press crews don't like to do more work... so you make more than you need by a good margin and when it's stuff like "examples" you print up extras versus some limited supply.
There's absolutely 0 reason WOTC would make "test prints" a manufactured rarity as they're never intended to go into booster packs.
The question really is how many people were going to make this decision about the new look of the cards and I'd imagine nearly everybody at WOTC was asked for input.

I think it's extremely wishful thinking that this type of thing could be a "one-of" item or even ultra rare. It could very well be that, for now, in the hands of "collectors" but if they command $$$ I'd imagine more would turn up. Possibly a lot more. This is logical imo-
So for those who have seen these close up, are they done using same official printers/ink process? These aren't the same test prints that are stock art glued to lands. I'm always looking for something that just turns peoples heads in my collection (at one point that was 2HG Niv-Mizzet, Russian Release Shivan, and my Wal Mart Broodmates, alas not that much any more).

fancyman
Librarities Member

Post by fancyman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:42 am

Just got a miswrapped 4th starter

and this totally primo crimped spoon at lunch

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:07 am

That crimped spoon is the bees knees!

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:36 am

It's not your day is it!

I would take them both back and demand a refund!

Did you buy the miswrapped deck on purpose or was it a lucky find?

Any chance it has been tampered with, not that there is any reason to do so?

I have some old sealed starters which have popped open, guess they weren't sealed too well to begin with.

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:02 am

Pretty terrible picture but I finally finished another Angel in my global angel collection and here she is.

BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

fancyman
Librarities Member

Post by fancyman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:36 am

@GlobalBoosterHunter I actually paid extra for it since I've never seen any like it before, and apparently all (or almost all?) of the rest from this box were opened. I've inspected it pretty closely and it doesn't appear to be tampered with.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:34 am

In that case, nice find!

I would have bought it as well!