Questions for collectors...

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

AnimeDood
Librarities Member

Post by AnimeDood » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:31 am

1. Are you less interested in collecting lately? If so, why?
No

2. Are any of you MORE interested in collecting lately? If so, why?
Yes, the recent arrival of Future Sight has inspired me to resume collecting. However, I will probably be limeted to collecting normal cards due to the fact that where I live I'm the only person I know who collects anything other than normal magic cards

3. Is there another site out there that you are haunting in favor of this one?
No, not really. I'm just not normally able to add much to the discussions.

4. Do you think that any players that pick up the game now (in 2007) set a goal of collecting every set?
No, I think most new collectors quickly find out that without some unbelievable luck or a serious investment, collecting every set would be nearly impossible.

5. If not, what do you think 'collecting' magic will mean in the future?
I think that in the future collectors will set smaller goals for collection. Instead of every card ever made players will search for every zombie card ever printed or every tiger ever printed. That's what most of the players I know, including myself, have already done (I collect elementals).
At last Urza's powers were focused through the incredible artifact. "Who wants pancakes?" He asked.

ANALOG_KID
Legendary MTG Art Collector

Post by ANALOG_KID » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:37 am

I have become less interested in the cards because there a so many of them and it can be cost prohibitive
especially when one has a more expensive (and satisfying) Magic habit to feed.
Another contributing factor is the sheer frustration at not being able to locate items.

I can't say I am MORE interested, so much as I am more selective in my choices.
Similar to the quality over quantity equation.

Although I have trade threads on 2 other sites and browse them from time to time,
I always prefer the more refined and relaxed nature of discussion found here.
When was the last time a member here was "banned" (excluding bots) for inappropriate behavior?
Compare that to other sites and one sees that this site caters to a more mature audience.
MoonSprite calls the other places kids playgrounds, whereas this is the Teachers Lounge.
In my oh-so humble opinion, this is still THE SITE for discerning collectors and connoiseurs of Magic. :-)

4. Do you think that any players that pick up the game now (in 2007) set a goal of collecting every set?

With the release of each new set and the advent of MODO, I think the likelihood of new players trying to aquire and complete older sets diminishes.
Not only would it be expensive, but as time passes the availability of particular items lessens.

Newer collectors seem to lean more towards a particular artist or other sub-genre.
This allows them to set more realistic completion goals.

And Squt... Thanks for asking. =D>

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

Post by pickle.69 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:00 pm

Not realy only focusing on more detailed and harder to find stuff.

I want to play more competitive in the future and am getting/ collecting more and more parts for all possible t1 decks.

I am checking differtnt magic vintage and trading homepages in order to pick up standard cards. Ebay is basicy my every days check for mispritns and rareties. But I hit this payage a couple of times a day allways.

No, its very hard for everybody to keep up the pace with the set allready, if you would start now you shurly will need to sepnd a fortuen to get all together.
I think its a goal for some people but a shurly only very few of these will ever end it. Onc3e they grow and if the game stays allive till the have own jobs, this might change.

Gathering card you need to play. Add some things that you like or interested you in particular. And I hope a couple fo them get addicted to the nerd stuff we are interested in.
Collections needing help
Shivan Dragons http://beam.to/shivandragon
Alpha Dwarven Demo Team h: 5%
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 9506#29506

Spectral_bears
Librarities Hero

Post by Spectral_bears » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:07 pm

Not really, I am still a collector more than I am a player.

I would say that I am definately more interested in collecting lately. I go through phases where one particular card will spur me to collecting a whole genre. Take for example that about 6 months ago I got a foil Crystalline Sliver for rather cheap, well now from that one card I am into promo collecting. I am also still trying to collect the current new set and one successively older set with the each new release.

I totally agree with the above that this is the absolute best sight out there for news related to collecting the odd and the interesting as well as one of the nicest commumities out there. I do hang out at MTGSalvation alot as I feel I am too inexperienced of a collector to contribute much here but I can offer up some input there. Here I tend to listen and learn.

I have a hard time seeing this as most new players would have a hard time connecting to the older sets in order to justify the cost. I started playing right after Antiquities came out and for me the older cards remind me of the shear fun I had when I first started and everyone made their own decks. Nowadays I cant make it through a single FNM without someone questioning why I would be playing some UW Enchantress deck instead of DStorm or Dralnu or any other netdeck.

Here I agree that collecting for newer players seems to have shifted from complete sets to playsets of staples and pimp cards. Often I go through a binder and people will not split up their playsets of cards in a similar fassion that I will not split up a set once its complete.

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Re: Questions for collectors...

Post by Gryfalia » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:15 pm

squt wrote: 1. Are you less interested in collecting lately? If so, why?

Nope, just too busy.

Not personally, have always liked it.

Nope, nowhere does what this site does better.

Don't know of a single one who has more interest in this idea past 'it would be nice..'

Keeping cards you can use.

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Post by squt » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:39 pm

This is awesome, guys. I love all of the discussion.

tetsuo42
Librarities Hero

Post by tetsuo42 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:13 am

No. I enjoy picking up random cards (including lovable misprints) here and there. However, I've mostly been huting down cards for an oath deck. My Twiddle collection has slowed down. It's kind of a pain to have to hunt down all the foreign editions.

I guess so. Again, trying to put together a deck, so I need to put the effort in to get the rest of the pieces. I wish they would just fall in my lap.

MOTL is the site I frequent the most. Next is starcity for the pimp thread - very nice pictures, when people actually post pics. Then here. Mostly because it has been pretty slow.

Only the ones with lots of $$$. I think most new players would want to focus on cards that are in the Standard rotation. It can be intimidating for new players to soak up over ten years worth of cards.

Not sure, but when people get bored with collecting normal cards, they'll stumble upon this site, and well, it's downhill from there...(at least it was for me - hey, I didn't know I had alt 4th cards till I read about them here!)

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:38 am

Much less interest. Interest has waned over the past 2 years or so. Initially it is because there were just so many cards continually being printed. My Red foil collection was going good, but after the first theft/loss of a complete set of foils, I lost all interest in getting any more standard foils. Also, I was initially a player and not a collector at all. It was after I found Flamino's version of the Library that I learned about collecting, and how much bigger the Magic world was, and I began to stop playing and begin collecting. Due to the lack of activity on this site now, that has also greatly impeded my desire of collecting. I also once considered this to be a very interesting community and enjoyed it, but from discussion in the past, including the Webmasters own opinions about 'community', it left a poor taste with me, and my interest in collecting further waned. (however, all being equal, decisions made by those who are in control, and this is not aimed to be a complaint anymore)

No, not at all. I am continuing to collect Red promo's, but that is about it, however as with #1 above, I am not all that serious about collecting this anymore either. I just get it, if I feel like it.

No. I never liked MOTL or any other sites. The original Library was an amazing site. Perhaps if another Webmaster somewhere out in the internet void creates a site as full of information, then I would probably leave this site, and try to participate in the new site - though I do not honestly think I would have the desire to go elsewhere. So unless that happens, for the most part I would continue to lurk here, participate very little, and perhaps pick up the odd card here or there that I learned about in the news here.

I am sure that there will be new players who will attempt this goal, but will soon learn to make smaller goals, and eventually return to this lofty goal.

A slow demise for Magic. We are already seeing new card faces and other attempts to re-create Magic, to infuse new life into the game, which I do not particularly believe is working - however, since I am not involved in playing for a few years now, I really do not know what is happening in this respect.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:08 am

No,still totally into it.

I'm more interested in Collecting,because of the Huge amount of New Rarities that appears in the last monthes,years.

I'm everyday on this one,but moderating another one,and a very active Member on 3 others at the same time.I believe that the No Updating situation or tiny one of the website for the last 3 years is a Real problem and I would like Ralph to explain why this total lack of interest,I have offered few times on my part to maintain the website active,if like Bob,in the past Ralph is not into it anymore.

I'm right now helping a Brand new collector to reach this goal,and it's almost done,so it's still a Dream for some people.

In the Future,I believe Collecting will be mainly aimed at few Spoilers cards
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

equi-nox76
Legendary Blue Spell Blaster

Collecting

Post by equi-nox76 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:09 am

I’m not less interested in collecting, but since I have to save money for the house I stopped spending hundreds of Euro per month for Magic, I just try to get playsets of all promo cards and get replacements for cards that are not mint or mint/nm+++. When Future Sight and all Promo cards 2007 have been released I will have to take a break, but still will be interested in all the Magic-news.

More interested in collecting is not possible at the moment ;-)

3. Is there another site out there that you are haunting in favour of this one?

Germagic is one of my favourites (thanks to Evilbernd), MOTL, Magic Sphere and some German online stores with reports.
But this site has really the highest concentration of Magic knowledge WORLDWIDE!

New players are like “if the card cannot win the game in 3 rounds it’s crapâ€￾. Noobs never had the overwhelming feeling of putting a Scaled Wurm into play :-) - and next round got it blasted away from a Terror or Disintegrate - (by the way all of my friends play decks that have no cards newer than Urza’s Legacy).
For me it was always a combination of playing and collecting, I always tried to have all the cards of a set to know which cards do exist to play better, as a result of that the complete sets “arisedâ€￾.
The whole magic scene in the past years got to professional in my opinion, so honestly I don’t think there exist plenty potential new collectors for whole sets, but I do believe that promo cards will be collected more in the future.

ups, see no. 4

Chris

notsofasteddie
Librarities Legend

Post by notsofasteddie » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:57 pm

While my interest waxes and wanes, at the moment I am more interested.

I have become more interested because I have shifted the focus of my collecting from building sets to other things. Right now I am focused on my signed card collection which is approaching 3,000 cards. I'm constantly searching for artists whose signature I don't have as well as trying to add more cards from artists I do have. In addition, I am trying to find foreign versions of cards I already have so that I can get them signed. I'm really into the fact that our game is a world-wide phenomenon. My collecting goal is not to get all artists or all cards by an artist, but rather just too get as many as I can. This makes me always successful ;-) I am also working on completing my playset of all Revised duals needing only a couple of Scrublands and Tundras to complete it. Because I live in a relatively isolated locale with a small Magic collector community, two I think including me, and no cons nearby, I have not gotten into chasing Promo cards in their various forms and am not likely to. With my focused collecting, I have avoided the type 2 rat race and instead have select targets of opportunity.

I spend time on MOTL looking for signed and foreign cards. I also spend time on the Wizard's website looking for artist news and contact addresses.

The likelihood of new players trying to aquire and complete older sets is small. I doubt that many new players would have the resources to do this as it would be terribly expensive. It was expense and the increasing lack of the availability of NM/Mint condition cards that pushed me away from set collecting as I got tired of purchasing "Mint" cards that were Excellent at best. I think new players would face the same constraints.

In the future, "collecting" magic will be focused on other things than sets. Going global with a certain card would be doable as would focusing on particular types (Angels, Dragons, etc.) or particular artists, but even here the "newbie" will be at a disadvantage. How many Alpha Dwarven Demolition Teams are out there for the collector who wants to complete a set of Kev Brockschmidt cards? With time the available supply diminishes as cards are used, disappear, or claimed by another collector. I think that there will be an increased interest in signed cards as this can be focused or open ended and has the extra appeal of getting to meet the artists or establishing an ongoing email relationship. How else would I have found out that both John Couldhart and I love to visit Paris or had a chance to discuss home remodeling with Heather Hudson?

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

Post by pickle.69 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:03 pm

BIG BIG OFF TOPIC
notsofasteddie wrote:Going global with a certain card would be doable as would focusing on particular types (Angels, Dragons, etc.) or particular artists, but even here the "newbie" will be at a disadvantage. How many Alpha Dwarven Demolition Teams are out there for the collector who wants to complete a set of Kev Brockschmidt cards? With time the available supply diminishes as cards are used, disappear, or claimed by another collector.
4500-187=4313 should be enough allthough I will still be after them: Image

but I HAD to answer it.
Collections needing help
Shivan Dragons http://beam.to/shivandragon
Alpha Dwarven Demo Team h: 5%
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 9506#29506

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:38 pm

>1. Are you less interested in collecting lately? If so, why?
>2. Are any of you MORE interested in collecting lately? If so, why?

These are really the same question, aren't they? I have had an active interest in collecting non-sports cards since I bought my first pack of Gremlins trading cards 23 years ago. I entered Magic as a collector only and soon after became casual player. My interest has been strong throughout, but my focus has changed several times. I collected complete sets up until Tempest at which point I started focusing on promos. My ultimate goal is total completion of everything, but I only focus on 1 or 2 things at a time. This has resulted in a lot of incomplete sets (still working on legends 13 years later, still missing a ton of worthless FNM/Arena promos). But my interest is still strong, and if something really catches my eye, I'll jump on it.

>3. Is there another site out there that you are haunting in favor of this one?

Trick question! ;) I run www.apathyhouse.com. It doesn't have much in the way of discussion, but I'm usually in there tinkering with the pipes on a daily basis. I'm more active on this site than any other site. Where else am I going to go when I want to know what cards in the latest set were printed with alternate art in chinese? Seriously. And that's the sort of thing I like to collect.

>4. Do you think that any players that pick up the game now (in 2007) set a goal of collecting every set?

Sure, probably in the same way that it's my goal. From the perspective of a longtime card collector, the unique thing about Magic is that there's so much of it to collect, unlike other sets of cards, where you buy a box or two, put your set together, and you're done. I collect for the sake of collecting. I have tons complete sets of garbage non-sports cards that will never be worth their weight in shipping. It's more an OCD type compulsion than a hobby ;)

OTOH, I think few will ever achieve this goal. It's a problem of quantity and time more than it is a problem of money. As was stated earlier, most sets from The Dark on up are affordable and relatively easy to find, but it still takes time to do it. For me, the hunt is part of the fun, there would be no satisfaction in just buying out somebody else's entire collection just to have everything. So if someone today is starting fresh, and has that collector mentality, they may start towards this goal, and put together a few nice sets (most likely the older ones), but lose interest before ever completing the project.

>5. If not, what do you think 'collecting' magic will mean in the future?

At this point putting together a pimped playset of every playable card is an enormous task unto itself, and a lot of players are content with that as their final goal, but I think there will always be more to "collecting" Magic than this. I see a lot of people focusing on global sets of a particular card or artist, or people hording as many copies as possible of a card they like. I like to help people with these kinds of collections because I think the collectors get a lot of joy out of just acquiring the cards, rather than acquiring them with a further purpose in mind like winning a tournament, or investing. In fact horde collections I think are great because they are almost always intentionally an unplayable, mass produced, common card that they can pick up on the cheap or as sweeteners in other trades. I have a few regular people I trade with, who collect one card like that, and any time I get a pile of cards I sift out those card and set them aside. Then the next time I trade with them, I throw them all in for free. I've noticed from doing this that the trade is just another trade, but it's the pile of crap cards that they really seem to appreciate most.

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

Post by Giediprime41 » Tue May 01, 2007 6:20 am

You know i had a nice detailed response for these questions but when i went to post the stupid fourm said i was'nt logged in and i forgot to save it so i'm pissed right now and i'll do it again later. :-O :-/ 8-| >:-(

equi-nox76
Legendary Blue Spell Blaster

Post by equi-nox76 » Wed May 02, 2007 10:44 am

Giediprime41 wrote:You know i had a nice detailed response for these questions but when i went to post the stupid fourm said i was'nt logged in and i forgot to save it so i'm pissed right now and i'll do it again later. :-O :-/ 8-| >:-(
I made the same mistake :-D