Selling Some Graded Sets

Everything else about trading. Specific Magiclibrarities Hero and Legends Permanent Lists and Legends External Links.

Moderators: cataclysm80, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp, hammr7, l0qii

Post Reply
Jmaschme
Librarities Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:46 am
Location: Chicago

Selling Some Graded Sets

Post by Jmaschme » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:29 pm

As my magic collection has grown, it has also become harder to store and to enjoy. Many here surely have collections that are much bigger than mine, but as of right now I have over 30,000 raw cards, spanning every set from Alpha though the Theros block. I also have Beckett-graded sets of Alpha through Legends. As of this post, each of my graded sets has the highest "rank" on the BGS registry, for those that care about such things.

I've decided to part with a large portion of my graded stuff, which has mainly been collecting dust in a bank vault. I'm keeping Alpha and Arabian Nights, but am selling Beta, Unlimited, Antiquities, Legends, and Portal Three Kingdoms. I've attached links below. Unlimited is already slated to be auctioned card-by-card this August by PWCC auctions on ebay. But please feel free to make me offers on the other sets. As of now I won't take offers on individual cards as I want to maintain the integrity of the sets and pass them on the same way that I've put them together. I'm breaking Unlimited up as I think it has less set appeal and I also never completed it (4 cards short). These sets will likely surface over the next few months on Star City Games, ebay, or some other channel if they don't sell here. My hope is that with fewer graded cards I can actually take the time to enjoy them, and contemplate a way to display them in my home.

Beta (avg GPA 9.44):
http://registry.beckett.com/set-details ... as_2294965

Unlimited (avg GPA 9.47):
http://registry.beckett.com/set-details ... ds_2294966

Antiquities (avg GPA 9.50):
http://registry.beckett.com/set-details ... es_2294981

Legends (avg GPA 9.48):
http://registry.beckett.com/set-details ... ds_2294984

Portal Three Kingdoms (avg GPA 9.54):
http://registry.beckett.com/set-details ... ks_2294982
Last edited by Jmaschme on Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5623
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Re: Selling Some Graded Sets

Post by dragsamou » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:39 pm

Jmaschme wrote:As my magic collection has grown, it has also become harder to store and to enjoy. Many here surely have collections that are much bigger than mine, but as of right now I have over 30,000 raw cards, spanning every set from Alpha though the Theros block. I also have Beckett-graded sets of Alpha through Legends. As of this post, each of my graded sets has the highest "rank" on the BGS registry, for those that care about such things.

I've decided to part with a large portion of my graded stuff, which has mainly been collecting dust in a bank vault. I'm keeping Alpha and Arabian Nights, but am selling Beta, Unlimited, Antiquities, Legends, and Portal Three Kingdoms. I've attached links below. Unlimited is already slated to be auctioned card-by-card this August by PWCC auctions on ebay. But please feel free to make me offers on the other sets. As of now I won't take offers on individual cards as I want to maintain the integrity of the sets and pass them on the same way that I've put them together. I'm breaking Unlimited up as I think it has less set appeal and I also never completed it (4 cards short). These sets will likely surface over the next few months on Star City Games, ebay, or some other channel if they don't sell here.

Beta (avg GPA 9.44):
http://registry.beckett.com/set-details ... as_2294965

Unlimited (avg GPA 9.47):
http://registry.beckett.com/set-details ... ds_2294966

Antiquities (avg GPA 9.50):
http://registry.beckett.com/set-details ... es_2294981

Legends (avg GPA 9.48):
http://registry.beckett.com/set-details ... ds_2294984

Portal Three Kingdoms (avg GPA 9.54):
http://registry.beckett.com/set-details ... ks_2294982
Hi

I'm really not familiar with BGS, but when you get a card 9.5 everywhere it shows 9.60 points, same as 3 9.5 and a 10, and if you get everything 9.5 and 1 9, it's 9.5 points, that's so weird for me. Trying to understand the logic behind that.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

User avatar
Magic61983
Librarities Legend
Posts: 1085
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:28 pm
Location: Willowdale, PA

Re: Selling Some Graded Sets

Post by Magic61983 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:44 pm

dragsamou wrote:
Jmaschme wrote:As my magic collection has grown, it has also become harder to store and to enjoy. Many here surely have collections that are much bigger than mine, but as of right now I have over 30,000 raw cards, spanning every set from Alpha though the Theros block. I also have Beckett-graded sets of Alpha through Legends. As of this post, each of my graded sets has the highest "rank" on the BGS registry, for those that care about such things.

I've decided to part with a large portion of my graded stuff, which has mainly been collecting dust in a bank vault. I'm keeping Alpha and Arabian Nights, but am selling Beta, Unlimited, Antiquities, Legends, and Portal Three Kingdoms. I've attached links below. Unlimited is already slated to be auctioned card-by-card this August by PWCC auctions on ebay. But please feel free to make me offers on the other sets. As of now I won't take offers on individual cards as I want to maintain the integrity of the sets and pass them on the same way that I've put them together. I'm breaking Unlimited up as I think it has less set appeal and I also never completed it (4 cards short). These sets will likely surface over the next few months on Star City Games, ebay, or some other channel if they don't sell here.

Beta (avg GPA 9.44):
http://registry.beckett.com/set-details ... as_2294965

Unlimited (avg GPA 9.47):
http://registry.beckett.com/set-details ... ds_2294966

Antiquities (avg GPA 9.50):
http://registry.beckett.com/set-details ... es_2294981

Legends (avg GPA 9.48):
http://registry.beckett.com/set-details ... ds_2294984

Portal Three Kingdoms (avg GPA 9.54):
http://registry.beckett.com/set-details ... ks_2294982
Hi

I'm really not familiar with BGS, but when you get a card 9.5 everywhere it shows 9.60 points, same as 3 9.5 and a 10, and if you get everything 9.5 and 1 9, it's 9.5 points, that's so weird for me. Trying to understand the logic behind that.
Alexis,

The reason behind this is to show that not all 9.5's are equal even though they have the same overall grades. The same with an all 10 subgrade card it will have 10.1 instead of 10.0.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

Jmaschme
Librarities Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:46 am
Location: Chicago

Post by Jmaschme » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:45 pm

That's Becketts way of trying to reward cards that are more "perfect" than others. The grading works something like this for Gem Mint (9.5) cards:

Basic sub-grades (one grade of 9 is allowed): 9.5 points
Balanced sub-grades (all 9.5s or better): 9.6 points
1/2 Point short of a perfect 10 grade (2 9.5 sub-grades, 2 10 sub-grades): 9.65 points

The same system holds for cards at all grades, although I start to have less comprehension of it. For example, I don't know what the grade would be on a card that has sub-grades of 10,10,10,7. I leave that to Beckett to sort out...

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5623
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Re: Selling Some Graded Sets

Post by dragsamou » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:47 pm

Magic61983 wrote:
Alexis,

The reason behind this is to show that not all 9.5's are equal even though they have the same overall grades. The same with an all 10 subgrade card it will have 10.1 instead of 10.0.
Thanks Brian, and Jmaschme educating myself on Graded cards.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Jmaschme
Librarities Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:46 am
Location: Chicago

Post by Jmaschme » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:52 pm

thanks all for the messages. I am doing my best to respond in a timely manner. I forgot that I also sent my Antiquities set to PWCC auctions so I can't make a deal on that one. It will be popping up on ebay in a few weeks.

User avatar
thulnanth
Librarities Legend
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:26 pm
Location: Minnesota, USA

Post by thulnanth » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:44 pm

Cool stuff... I'll definitely be bidding on a few of those Unlimited singles. Thanks for the heads-up. :wink:

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

Jmaschme
Librarities Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:46 am
Location: Chicago

Post by Jmaschme » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:53 pm

Beta set is SOLD intact to another collector. Still have Legends and P3K if anyone is interested before I send them to be auctioned in September.

tromagic
Librarities Member
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:10 pm

Post by tromagic » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:24 pm

Congratz ! I am happy for him and for you. It s an old collector and a friend, from the very first graded mtg cards =D>
I collect old MTG cards.

Jmaschme
Librarities Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:46 am
Location: Chicago

Post by Jmaschme » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:29 pm

yeah I feel the same way. I will enjoy seeing the set get upgraded further and stay at the top of the registry. and I know this person will keep upgrading it and will appreciate what I have already put together. those things mean a lot. As a collector I would like to see a perfect Gem Mint Beta set get completed, and this one should now be only 20-25 cards away!

User avatar
Magic61983
Librarities Legend
Posts: 1085
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:28 pm
Location: Willowdale, PA

Post by Magic61983 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:39 pm

Don't take this the wrong way but I don't think it will be the #1 set when I'm finished with mine. It's a good set but it has a lot of upgrading to keep it at #1.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest